Self-Completeness of Einstein gravity via Black Hole formation

In summary, the idea being discussed is to probe transplanckian physics by concentrating a high energy into a small volume, resulting in the formation of a black hole. This essentially hides any new physics within the event horizon and leads to the theory becoming more classical at sub-Planck scales. This approach is independent from string theory and relies on treating quantum gravity as an effective field theory with a cutoff at the Planck scale. The connection between Einstein gravity and string theory is observed but not necessary for the argument. However, there are some concerns about the high energy behavior being quantum and the possibility of an infinite conformal fractal.
S.Daedalus
I just recently came across this idea, outlined in http://arxiv.org/abs/1005.3497" ). I've looked for some discussion here, but couldn't find any, so I thought I'd start one (if I missed some previous discussion, I'd appreciate a link).

The basic idea is simple: to probe transplanckian physics, one needs to concentrate an energy [tex]E > 1/L[/tex] into a spacetime volume of size [tex]L[/tex]. The Schwarzschild radius of this configuration is [tex]R(L) = L_{p}^2/L[/tex], with [tex]L_{p}[/tex] being the Planck length. Thus, for [tex]L < L_{p}[/tex], a black hole forms, hiding all potentially new physics within its event horizon.

This BH is essentially a (semi-)classical object, which becomes more and more classical (i.e., larger) the harder you try to probe the sub-Planck scale; hence, attempts to probe the deep-UV limit of the theory bounce back to the IR, which is of course well described by the existing theory -- physics on sub-Planck scales just never plays any role at all. Hence, since quantum gravity stays sane up to the Planck length, and the theory just curls back in upon itself on lengths smaller than that, it is essentially self-complete.

So, what's everybody's thoughts on this? Personally, I'm refraining from forming an opinion for the moment, on account of not being informed enough -- which I hope some discussion here will remedy. But I'm definitely intrigued, and I do wonder somewhat that this doesn't seem to have generated more buzz...

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Sounds interesting; does this go into the direction "UV/IR" of NCG?

anybody experts can tell me is it possible to repalce electrical motor by hydraulic motor.What r the parametres supposed to be keep in mind?

tom.stoer said:
Sounds interesting; does this go into the direction "UV/IR" of NCG?
I don't think so, though I'm not very familiar with the NCG approach. IIRC, there, the UV/IR mixing is problematic, because interactions at high energies lead to divergences in the infrared behaviour.

Here, it's just that the deep-UV and IR limits of the theory are effectively identified; if you pump sufficiently much energy into a small enough region, you end up with a macroscopic black hole.

This is just T-duality known from string theory. But if I understand you correctly, you are looking for something independent from string theory, right?

tom.stoer said:
This is just T-duality known from string theory. But if I understand you correctly, you are looking for something independent from string theory, right?
Yes. The paper I linked to goes into some stringy details (and mentions the similarity to T-duality), but the main argument is derived simply from general considerations about the quantization of gravity.

Basically, if I understand this correctly, you can just treat QG as an effective field theory cut off at the Planck scale, with the IR behaviour 'subbing in' for transplanckian physics; in this way, one can extract physical predictions up to arbitrarily high energy just from quantized general relativity.

S.Daedalus said:
Basically, if I understand this correctly, you can just treat QG as an effective field theory cut off at the Planck scale, with the IR behaviour 'subbing in' for transplanckian physics; in this way, one can extract physical predictions up to arbitrarily high energy just from quantized general relativity.

In the early paper, I thought he was actually saying that classical Einstein gravity was a limit of string theory at high energies.

At that time it was very handwavy, so I didn't take it any more seriously than Smolin's regular speculations.

I would expect that high energy behaviour to be quantum - especially if AdS/CFT holds, since the CFT is a completely quantum mechanical theory defined to arbitrarily high energies (except that high energies in the CFT may not mean high energy in the bulk). Naively, I'd expect something closer to this line of speculation http://arxiv.org/abs/0811.0263.

Last edited:
atyy said:
In the early paper, I thought he was actually saying that classical Einstein gravity was a limit of string theory at high energies.
I'm somewhat foggy on what exactly the connection proposed in the paper between Einstein gravity and string theory is; as best I can tell, they just note the similarity between the UV/IR connection in the former and the T-duality of the latter, and build the argument (or, as they put it, the suggestion) that string theory is built into Einstein gravity around that.

However, it doesn't seem to me that the connection is necessary for the argument to work -- it is something observed after the fact, not put in upfront.

S.Daedalus said:
I'm somewhat foggy on what exactly the connection proposed in the paper between Einstein gravity and string theory is; as best I can tell, they just note the similarity between the UV/IR connection in the former and the T-duality of the latter, and build the argument (or, as they put it, the suggestion) that string theory is built into Einstein gravity around that.

However, it doesn't seem to me that the connection is necessary for the argument to work -- it is something observed after the fact, not put in upfront.

This picture is as simple as this, take a line subdivide it into N, consider each subdivsion as Planck length LP you can describe all of physics as probabilities on the points and the distances as energy relations. Now what happens if you divide that LP again infinitly, again you will get the same behavior on these subdivision as original larger ones. It is like a comformal fractal. The secret is that position has to be on points (discrete), real numbers are ambigiuos, and by sheer force we started with LP as unit distance. So choosing one scale and sticking with it is the same as subdividing and only finding that you are where you started from, i.e. no real gain.

I have already discussed this nightmarish issue in an old thread(#31), talking about my own theory(profile). It drove me up the wall as to its meaning.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=2661278#post2661278

1. What is the concept of "Self-Completeness" in Einstein gravity?

Self-Completeness in Einstein gravity refers to the ability of the theory to provide a complete and consistent description of the physical world, without the need for any additional assumptions or modifications. Essentially, it means that the theory is self-sufficient and does not require any external input to explain its predictions.

2. How does Black Hole formation relate to the Self-Completeness of Einstein gravity?

Black Hole formation is a crucial aspect of Einstein gravity as it is one of the most extreme phenomena predicted by the theory. By studying the formation of Black Holes, we can gain a better understanding of the fundamental laws of gravity and test the Self-Completeness of Einstein's theory. If the theory is self-complete, it should be able to accurately describe the formation and behavior of Black Holes without any additional modifications.

3. What evidence supports the Self-Completeness of Einstein gravity via Black Hole formation?

Several predictions of Black Hole formation, such as the existence of event horizons and the Hawking radiation, have been experimentally confirmed, providing strong evidence for the Self-Completeness of Einstein gravity. Additionally, the theory has successfully passed numerous observational tests, such as the bending of light around massive objects, further supporting its self-completeness.

4. Are there any challenges to the Self-Completeness of Einstein gravity via Black Hole formation?

While there is strong evidence supporting the Self-Completeness of Einstein gravity, there are still some challenges that remain. One of the main challenges is the unification of Einstein's theory with quantum mechanics, as current theories break down at the singularity of a Black Hole. This has led to the development of alternative theories, such as string theory, that aim to reconcile these two fundamental theories.

5. How does the Self-Completeness of Einstein gravity impact our understanding of the universe?

The Self-Completeness of Einstein gravity has had a significant impact on our understanding of the universe. By providing a complete and consistent description of gravity, it has allowed us to make accurate predictions and observations of the universe on both a macroscopic and microscopic level. Additionally, it has formed the basis for many modern theories, such as the Big Bang theory and the theory of general relativity, which have greatly advanced our understanding of the universe.