1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Self inductance question

1. Apr 25, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

For one of the problems in my hw it asks to prove that L=μAN^2/length .....i didnt have a problem with that osrt but the second part states a spring is 5cm long and has a diameter of .15 cm with 50 coils...how much self-inductance must you include for it to model as an ideal solenoid?

2. Relevant equations

L=AN^2μ/length

3. The attempt at a solution
    I think im just confused on what they mean by ideal solenoid...i ended up getting the answer right by just pklugging the numbers in but could someone explain what an ideal solenoid is?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 25, 2012 #2
    Sorry I can't help you with this self-inductance business, but I do know that an ideal solenoid is one in which the magnetic field lines are completely straight parallel lines inside and outside of the solenoid.

Real solenoids actually have bent magnetic field lines, which curve outwards when leaving the solenoid, and curve inwards when entering.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook