How can we determine the self-inductance of a solenoid?

In summary, the conversation discusses a homework problem involving proving the formula L=μAN^2/length and determining the self-inductance needed for a spring to model as an ideal solenoid. The concept of an ideal solenoid is explained as one with straight, parallel magnetic field lines.
bdh2991

Homework Statement

For one of the problems in my homework it asks to prove that L=μAN^2/length ...i didnt have a problem with that osrt but the second part states a spring is 5cm long and has a diameter of .15 cm with 50 coils...how much self-inductance must you include for it to model as an ideal solenoid?

Homework Equations

L=AN^2μ/length

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I am just confused on what they mean by ideal solenoid...i ended up getting the answer right by just pklugging the numbers in but could someone explain what an ideal solenoid is?

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry I can't help you with this self-inductance business, but I do know that an ideal solenoid is one in which the magnetic field lines are completely straight parallel lines inside and outside of the solenoid.

Real solenoids actually have bent magnetic field lines, which curve outwards when leaving the solenoid, and curve inwards when entering.

Related to How can we determine the self-inductance of a solenoid?

What is self inductance?

Self inductance is the property of a circuit or coil to generate an electromotive force (EMF) in itself when the current flowing through it changes. It is often denoted by the symbol L and is measured in henries (H).

How is self inductance calculated?

Self inductance can be calculated using the formula L = (μ_0 * N^2 * A)/l, where μ_0 is the permeability of free space, N is the number of turns in the coil, A is the cross-sectional area of the coil, and l is the length of the coil.

What factors affect self inductance?

The two main factors that affect self inductance are the number of turns in the coil and the strength of the magnetic field. Increasing the number of turns or using a stronger magnetic field will result in a higher self inductance.

Why is self inductance important?

Self inductance is an important concept in electrical engineering as it affects the behavior of circuits and can cause unwanted effects such as voltage spikes and delays in current flow. It is also used in the design of electrical components such as transformers and inductors.

How does self inductance differ from mutual inductance?

Self inductance refers to the EMF generated in a single circuit or coil, while mutual inductance refers to the EMF generated in a second circuit or coil due to the changing current in the first circuit or coil. Mutual inductance is dependent on the distance and orientation between the two circuits or coils, while self inductance is only dependent on the properties of the single circuit or coil.