Self-Learn Calculus: Tips & Resources for Chemistry Students

In summary: Personally, I think you would benefit from brushing up on calculus before starting your courses. If you're taking courses in physical chemistry or quantum chemistry, then your calculus knowledge will need to be a bit more advanced.
jkur
Hi guys,

I had taken Calc 1, Calc 2, Calc 3, ODE and Linear Algebra in university, in the range of 5 to 7 years ago. I am about to go back to school, how should I re-teach myself calculus? Back then I used Stewart (Calc 1/2), Adams (Calc 3), and DiPrima/Boyce (ODE) for Calculus and ODEs. In each of those classes, I did OK for the most part, worst grade was in ODE with a C, got an A for Calc 3 (multi-var calculus and series).

I studied Economics back then, now I am going back to school for Chemistry and a little worried about Physical Chemistry and Quantum Chem classes and their heavy use of Calculus, which I had mainly forgotten.

I had gotten a copy of Courant to (hopefully) teach myself Calculus starting from the Single Variable, but in a more ground up, rigorous way. I would like to relearn everything but not so much the computational side of things; like how to find derivatives/integral of some function, but more on developing intuitions and strong fundamentals on calculus.
  1. Is this the right way to approach this?
  2. Which book should I use? I have the Courant book, still have my Adams and DiPrima/Boyce books as well
  3. How should I approach this? How should I brush up on this?
  4. How advanced would one's Calculus knowledge for Physical Chemistry/Quantum Chemistry?
Thank you so much.

Physics news on Phys.org
No doubt you need a good Calc 1, 2, 3, Diff Eq and linear algebra skills for your planned courses.

You might start with something like Calc 1 and Calc 2 through Coursera, taught by an Ohio State Prof, but I think you'll need to end up with MIT OpenCourseWare before you're ready.

You could also look at mathispower4u.com. There is a large collection of videos on math from Algebra to Calculus Diff Eqns and Linear Algebra. Basically first and second year college.

Likes Dr. Courtney
If you want to learn single variable calculus more rigorously then Courant is definitely a good book for it. That is the first book where I was exposed to rigorous mathematics. It will also improve your skill in answering computational questions, as you will now understand the theory behind everything. At least that's how it worked with me.

1. What is the importance of learning calculus for chemistry students?

Calculus is essential for understanding and solving complex problems in chemistry. It allows students to analyze rates of change, model systems, and make predictions based on mathematical principles.

2. What are some tips for self-learning calculus?

Some tips for self-learning calculus include breaking down the material into smaller chunks, practicing regularly, seeking help from online resources or tutors, and reviewing previous concepts before moving on to new ones.

3. Are there any specific resources that can help chemistry students learn calculus?

Yes, there are many resources available such as online tutorials, textbooks, practice problems, and videos. Some popular resources include Khan Academy, Coursera, and MIT OpenCourseWare.

4. How can calculus be applied to chemistry?

Calculus can be applied in chemistry for tasks such as determining reaction rates, predicting the behavior of chemical reactions, and analyzing changes in concentration over time. It is also used in thermodynamics, quantum mechanics, and other areas of chemistry.

5. Is it necessary to have a strong math background to learn calculus for chemistry?

While having a strong math background can be helpful, it is not necessary to learn calculus for chemistry. With determination and dedication, anyone can learn and understand calculus concepts and apply them to chemistry problems.