What Study Materials Deepen Understanding of Quantum Mechanics Foundations?

In summary: For a more mathematically rigorous text, I recommend Modern Quantum Mechanics by J. J. Sakurai.In summary, for someone interested in understanding foundational issues in QM, recommended materials include "Quantum Principles" by Shankar for review, "An Introduction to Quantum Field Theory" by Peskin&Schroeder for a deeper dive, "Speakable and Unspeakable in Quantum Mechanics" by John Stewart Bell, and books by Chris Isham and the Omnes book. Other helpful resources include last chapters of Griffiths and David Park's books, and the quantum mechanics book by Reebahn. For problem sets, MIT opencourseware is suggested. For introductory books, "The Quantum Challenge" by Greenstein and "Intro
ksvanhorn
I'm interested in understanding foundational issues in QM more deeply. For example, I'd like to be able to read and understand the literature on the Transactional Interpretation of QM and the Many-Worlds Interpretation, as well as the literature on decoherence. What can you recommend for a study program? I'm looking both for reading material and worked problem sets. I'm more interested in foundational issues than computational techniques. Here's my background:

- B.S. physics (applied), Ph.D. computer science

- I had one undergrad QM course (for the applied physics program) and one quarter of grad-level QM... but that was 24 years ago, and I haven't done any physics since. I've had very little exposure to quantum field theory, apart from the layman's treatment in Feynmann's book _QED_.

- I'm good with linear algebra, probability theory / statistics, and calculus at the level used in undergraduate physics. Mathematical formalism doesn't scare me. I've had some exposure to the calculus of variations and complex analysis, but not a lot.

What do you recommend?

Physics news on Phys.org
Quantum Princples by Shankar for review. Sakurai is a popular book afterwards - though I haven't read it.

After this, you can rock and roll with "An Introduction to Quantum Field Theory" by Peskin&Schroeder. I suppose you cab check MIT opencourseware for problem sets.

Speakable and unspeakable in quantum mechanics by John Stewart Bell. The other good books on foundational issues of quantum mechanics are the ones by Chris Isham and the Omnes book (I don't remember the name of this one, let me search for it and post it later). There also some small but very accesible chapters on this issues: Griffiths book last chapter and also in David Park introduction to quantum theory, a very nice exposition (which unfortunately is in german) of some of the basic theorems of foundational issues like Neumman's theorem or Bell's inequalities is at the end of the quantum mechanics book by Reebahn.

Thanks. These look like useful suggestions.

Shankar- Principles of Quantum Mechanics is nice. The Quantum Challenge by Greenstein is decent as well.

For an intro book, I (and what seems like many others) am using Intro to QM by Griffiths.

Sakurai is good once you've got the basics down.

1. What is self-study in the context of quantum mechanics?

Self-study in quantum mechanics refers to the process of independently learning and understanding the fundamental principles and concepts of quantum mechanics without the guidance of a formal instructor or course. It involves using textbooks, online resources, and practice problems to gain a deep understanding of the subject.

2. What are the foundations of quantum mechanics?

The foundations of quantum mechanics are the basic principles and postulates that form the framework of this branch of physics. These include the wave-particle duality of matter, the uncertainty principle, and the superposition and measurement of quantum states. These foundations are essential for understanding the behavior of quantum systems and making predictions about their behavior.

3. What are some recommended resources for self-studying quantum mechanics?

Some recommended resources for self-studying quantum mechanics include textbooks such as "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics" by David J. Griffiths and "Quantum Mechanics: Principles and Applications" by Nouredine Zettili. Online resources such as lecture notes, video lectures, and practice problems on websites like MIT OpenCourseWare and Khan Academy can also be helpful.

4. How long does it take to learn the foundations of quantum mechanics through self-study?

The amount of time it takes to learn the foundations of quantum mechanics through self-study can vary depending on the individual's prior knowledge and learning pace. It can take anywhere from a few months to a year or more to gain a solid understanding of the subject. Consistent practice and dedication are key to mastering the foundations of quantum mechanics.

5. Can self-studying quantum mechanics be as effective as taking a formal course?

Yes, self-studying quantum mechanics can be just as effective as taking a formal course if done properly. It requires a strong motivation and dedication to consistently learn and practice the material. Seeking guidance from online communities or joining a study group can also enhance the self-study experience. However, taking a formal course with a qualified instructor can provide a more structured and guided approach to learning and may be more beneficial for some individuals.