Protecting Your Idea: The Role of Patents in Selling Your Design

In summary: I'll get a lawyer to write me a non-compete clause.In summary, it is necessary to have a patent so it doesn't get stolen as you try to sell it. One can protect an idea by obtaining a license or by having a non-disclosure agreement in place. It is all but impossible to protect an idea, so it is advised to get a non-disclosure agreement and a license signed before revealing any details of the idea.
JasonRox
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Is it necessary to have a patent so it doesn't get stolen as you try to sell it?

How does selling an idea actually work?

Physics news on Phys.org
Most corporations will have what are called 'trade secrets', which one will not find in a patent. Keeping it a secret is the only way to protect that information (intellectual property).

A patent will protect some information, but others could modify the product or process, and perhaps defeat the protection afforded by a patent. Also, one might need more than one patent, which means surround patents, in which a process/method and components are patented separately.

Astronuc said:
Most corporations will have what are called 'trade secrets', which one will not find in a patent. Keeping it a secret is the only way to protect that information (intellectual property).

A patent will protect some information, but others could modify the product or process, and perhaps defeat the protection afforded by a patent. Also, one might need more than one patent, which means surround patents, in which a process/method and components are patented separately.

So, how does one approach a company to buy an idea?

Presumable one knows that the company in question has some idea/intellectual property/piece of technology.

Basically one can obtain (buy) a license, usually an exclusive license. One would approach the company's legal department or someone who is responsible for licensing the technology. And there would be a joint non-disclosure agreement. I often have to work under NDAs since my work often involves proprietary information.

A "promise to not compete" is often used as well. I often have to sign both of these in order to gain access to customers systems.

My favorite was the promise to not use the word "Wahoo" until the product was released. :biggrin:

I'm not sure I understand what you guys are saying.

Like, I want to go and sell my idea (design) of a product. But, I don't want them to steal it. Like, they say "No, we're not interested." and turn around and make it anyways.

How do I avoid that from happening as I propose my idea?

JasonRox said:
I'm not sure I understand what you guys are saying.

Like, I want to go and sell my idea (design) of a product. But, I don't want them to steal it. Like, they say "No, we're not interested." and turn around and make it anyways.

How do I avoid that from happening as I propose my idea?

I think you'd have to have a non-disclosure agreement in place BEFORE you show them the details. You can give them enough of an idea for them to know if they want to see the details, but they have to sign an agreement first. It wouldn't be something that would compel them to buy it unseen, but that would protect you if they decide not to buy it. You're still going to need a lawyer to help write that...corporations have their own in-house attorneys who will gobble up any loophole you leave in it if you don't get a good lawyer to write it up.

Ivan Seeking said:
My favorite was the promise to not use the word "Wahoo" until the product was released. :biggrin:

haha, that's good.

As Moonbear indicated - One must have a non-disclosure agreement in place BEFORE one discloses any details of one's idea/product/IP.

Let me check the NDA's I have and see if one might be appropriate. One I read recently was very careful with terms and conditions, e.g. that the agreement did not imply a transfer of any rights or titles to the particular technology, i.e. one does not want to surrender control of one's idea.

Last edited:
Awesome guys!

This is exactly what I'm looking for.

Now, I read around that you should give a brief introduction about your product or idea so that the investor can decided whether or not they want to invest in the idea.

My problem is that my idea is very basic (well two of them). They are just different ways of using a particular product and can in fact be summed up in one line.

So, how can you be brief without actually giving it away?

Unless you can lay claim to particular technology, likely, you can't.

It is all but impossible to protect an idea. Get a non-disclosure and no compete form signed, and you have probably done all that you can.

Ivan Seeking said:
Unless you can lay claim to particular technology, likely, you can't.

It is all but impossible to protect an idea. Get a non-disclosure and no compete form signed, and you have probably done all that you can.

Well, I have two ideas. One big and one small. I'll do the small one, and if that falls apart, I'll just go somewhere else and try something different.

I will also talk to a lawyer about this. My girlfriends brother is writing his bar exam this summer and her sister is also almost done law school. Therefore, one of them should know something about this. :biggrin:

1. How do I protect my idea or design before selling it?

Before selling your idea or design, it is important to protect it by getting a patent or trademark. This will give you legal ownership and prevent others from stealing or copying your idea.

2. How do I determine the value of my idea or design?

The value of your idea or design can be determined by conducting market research to see if there is a demand for it, analyzing the potential profit it can generate, and considering any unique features or benefits it may offer.

3. What should I include in a pitch or presentation when selling my idea or design?

A pitch or presentation should include a clear description of your idea or design, its unique selling points, potential benefits, target market, and a demonstration or prototype if possible. It should also highlight the potential profitability and any market research or validation you have done.

4. How do I find potential buyers or investors for my idea or design?

Networking, attending trade shows, and utilizing online platforms and marketplaces are great ways to find potential buyers or investors for your idea or design. You can also reach out to companies or individuals directly if you believe they would be interested in your idea.

5. How can I negotiate a fair deal when selling my idea or design?

When negotiating a deal, it is important to have a clear understanding of the value of your idea or design and what you are willing to accept. Researching industry standards and having a backup plan can also help you negotiate a fair deal. It is also important to have a written contract outlining the terms and conditions of the sale to protect yourself.