Understanding Semidirect Products: Homomorphisms and Group Structures Explained

• Thread starter murmillo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Product
In summary, the conversation discusses the definition of a group structure on the Cartesian product H X K, using a homomorphism and the rule (h1, k1) * (h2; k2) = (h1 x f(k1)(h2), k1k2). The question arises about how h1 x f(k1)(h2) is an element of H, and it is clarified that f(k1) is an automorphism of H, thus taking elements of H to elements of H.
murmillo
1. Homework Statement [/b]
I'm reading about semidirect products, and I don't understand this part:
Given two abstract groups H and K and a homomorphism
f : K --> AutH, define a group structure on the Cartesian product H X K
by the rule
(h1, k1) * (h2; k2) = (h1 x f(k1)(h2), k1k2).
I don't understand how how h1 x f(k1)(h2) is an element of H.

3. The Attempt at a Solution [/b]
I think that h1 x f(k1)(h2) is an element of H only when H is normal. But the rule is supposed to work for any two groups H and K.

Physics news on Phys.org
h1 is an element of H.
f(k1) is an automorphism of H, thus it takes elements of H to elements of H. In particular f(k1)(h2) is an element of H.
Multiplying the two element gives an element of H.

What is a semidirect product?

A semidirect product is a mathematical concept that combines the structure of two groups, called the normal subgroup and the complement subgroup, to create a new group. It is denoted as G = N ⋊ H, where N is the normal subgroup and H is the complement subgroup.

What is the role of homomorphisms in semidirect products?

Homomorphisms play a crucial role in understanding semidirect products as they are the functions that preserve the group structure. In other words, they map elements from one group to another while preserving the group operation. In the case of semidirect products, homomorphisms help in defining the relationship between the normal and complement subgroups, and how they interact to form a new group.

How do I know if two groups are isomorphic?

Two groups are isomorphic if there exists a bijective homomorphism between them. This means that there is a one-to-one correspondence between the elements of the two groups, and the group operation is preserved. In the context of semidirect products, if two groups have the same semidirect product structure, they are isomorphic.

Can a semidirect product be commutative?

No, a semidirect product is not necessarily commutative. This is because the order of multiplication matters in semidirect products, and the normal and complement subgroups may not commute with each other. However, there are some cases where a semidirect product can be commutative, such as when the normal subgroup is the trivial subgroup or when the complement subgroup is abelian.

How are semidirect products used in real-world applications?

Semidirect products have various applications in mathematics, physics, and computer science. They are used to study symmetry in geometric objects, to understand the structure of chemical compounds, and to analyze algorithms in computer science. In physics, semidirect products are used to describe the symmetries of physical systems and to study the behavior of particles in quantum mechanics.