1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sensation of weight of objects

1. Jul 23, 2008 #1
    Is there a term/study for our ability to feel a range of weight of objects? For example, if you pick up a brick, you can definitely feel its weight. But if you put a small feather in someone's hand, she couldn't possibly feel any weight. So there is a threshold. What area of study covers this?

My search strategies with Google are generating mostly products for weight control. The closest I've found is the somatosensory system, but that's not really what I'm looking for.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 23, 2008 #2

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Was it Fischer's or Wenzel's law it was called?? Frankly, I don't remember.
    However:

The basic relationship that connects perception of weight and the actual weight, is that an increase in the perception is proportional to the RELATIVE increase in actual weight rather than the absolute increase.
    (i.e, if you have a 1-gram object in your hand getting another, you'll definitely notice that there was an increase, but if you held a kilogram in your hand and it was added a 1-gram object, you'd barely notice the increase)

That perceptions are sensitive to relative alterations, rather than to absolute ones is found elsewhere as well, the best known being sound, which is measured in Db.

4. Jul 23, 2008 #3
    Okay. This would be in the domain of mechanoreception then?

And thank you!

5. Jul 23, 2008 #4

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

6. Jul 23, 2008 #5
    That's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks.

And my God. Google had this topic indexed but three minutes after I posted it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?