Septic Tank Design & Advanced Oxidation

In summary, Michael is looking for information on septic tank design and advanced oxidation. He has looked online and found the same information and is looking for more help.
mrmotobiker
Hi All,

I'm a student trainee at the public utilities at where I live. I have been given a task to find information about septic tank design and advanced oxidation. I have exhausted all resources at my library and also the online library. I searched online and found the same redundant information. Do any of you have any sort of resources that Google and other search engines may not go through?

Thanks!
Michael

Engineering news on Phys.org
anybody? bump =)

I'm not ignoring you; I simply have absolutely no knowledge of this subject. There is undoubtably at least one member who does, but might not have seen this thread yet.

You're being a bit vague with your question. In my area, septic tanks are usually cement tanks. Some people may have metal tanks though. I am not sure as to the breakdown. I am also not quite sure where you get the term "advanced oxidation." Is this part of a homework assignment? Can you post more information on what is required?

Extremely basic:

http://www.inspect-ny.com/septbook.htm"

A little more informative:

http://www.fcs.uga.edu/pubs/current/C819-2.html"

Not sure what you've seen already. I hope these help.

Maybe a little more:

http://www.cet.nau.edu/Projects/WDP/resources/treatmentsyst/Septic.htm"

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you all for the responses.

Artman, I think I skimmed through those from Google, but thanks. =)

FredGarvin, sorry, I guess I was pretty vague. I think my question is septic design applied to wastewater treatment facilities. This was an assignment given to me by my supervisor to research. I would like to know more about how it could be implemented into a wastewater facility and also how it should be designed for individual households for an urban environment.

I have not taken any classes on environmental engineering or environmental studies, so I apologize ahead of time for honestly, not knowing ANYTHING. lol please bear with me as I'm trying to learn more about this as soon as possible.

Thanks!

Michael

What are you exactly looking for mrmotobiker?

The process in a simple septic tank system consists of a septic tank (anaerobic descomposition here) and infiltration system which can be a filtrating well or a field of infiltration.

If you have any more questions I've got a couple of books on the subject. Let me know.

1. What is a septic tank and how does it work?

A septic tank is an underground chamber that is used for the treatment of household wastewater. It is typically made of concrete, fiberglass, or plastic and is divided into two compartments. Wastewater flows into the first compartment where heavy solids settle to the bottom and are broken down by bacteria. The partially treated water then flows into the second compartment where further treatment occurs. The treated water then exits the tank and is dispersed into the drain field, where it is further treated by the soil.

2. What is advanced oxidation and how does it relate to septic tank design?

Advanced oxidation is a wastewater treatment process that uses powerful oxidants, such as hydrogen peroxide or ozone, to break down organic and inorganic compounds in the water. In septic tank design, advanced oxidation systems can be used to further treat the partially treated effluent before it is released into the environment. This helps to remove any remaining contaminants and ensure the water is safe for the surrounding ecosystem.

3. What are the benefits of using advanced oxidation in septic tank design?

The use of advanced oxidation in septic tank design has several benefits. It can significantly improve the quality of the effluent, making it safer for the environment and reducing the risk of contamination. It also helps to reduce the amount of nutrients, such as nitrogen and phosphorus, in the effluent, which can lead to harmful algal blooms in bodies of water. Additionally, advanced oxidation can help to reduce odors and extend the lifespan of the septic system.

4. Are there any drawbacks to using advanced oxidation in septic tank design?

While advanced oxidation has many benefits, there are also some drawbacks to consider. The process can be expensive to install and maintain, and it requires a reliable source of electricity. Additionally, advanced oxidation may not be suitable for all types of wastewater, and the effluent may still need to undergo further treatment before it can be discharged into the environment.

5. How can I determine if advanced oxidation is the right choice for my septic tank design?

The decision to use advanced oxidation in septic tank design should be based on several factors, including the type and strength of the wastewater being treated, the size and location of the septic system, and the environmental regulations in your area. It is best to consult with a professional wastewater engineer or septic system designer to determine if advanced oxidation is a suitable option for your specific needs.