1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sequence proof

1. Oct 3, 2005 #1
    Hi,
    Here is the question:
    Prove that if the sequence {s} has no convergent subsequence then {|s|} diverges to infinity.

To me, this seems so easy, but I'm having a really hard time putting it down in a rigorous manner.
    My thoughts are:
    every convergent sequence has a convergent subsequence (theorem in the book), so if there is no convergent subsequence, then the sequence itsself cannot converge either.
    So the absolute value won't converge.

I tried to do it with contradiction as follows:
    Suppose that |s| converges. Then it has a convergent subsequence. Since |s| is also a subsequence of {s}, the convergent subsequence of |s| lies inside {s}. So {s} has a convergent subsequence. Contradiction.

Any clarification will be greatly appreciated.
    CC

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 4, 2005 #2

CarlB

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There is a problem with your logic in that {|s|} is not necessarily a subsequence of {s}. This is true even for convergent series like:

[tex] s_n = \frac{(-1)^n}{n}[/tex]

Carl

4. Oct 4, 2005 #3
    Ok,
    I see that. Can I say that the elements a convergent subsequence of |s| also are members of {s}? The convergent subsequence of |s| will be positive numbers converging to L, so {s} will either have the same exact subsequence of positive terms, or it'll be negative terms, but then will converge to -L

5. Oct 4, 2005 #4

CarlB

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

happyg1,

Was the original problem "Prove that if the sequence {s} has no convergent subsequence then {|s|} diverges to infinity.", or was it instead "Prove that if the sequence {s} has no convergent subsequence then [itex] \sum |s|[/itex] diverges to infinity."

The reason I ask this is because I'm not really sure what "diverges to infinity" means.

If the meaning is to say that given a number L, no matter how far down the series you look, you can find an element larger in absolute value than L, then I can see your terminology working.

The whole thing smells of recourse to an argument based on the fact that any sequence that stays inside a closed subset of the real line has a convergent subsequence.

Carl

6. Oct 4, 2005 #5
    Prove that if the sequence {s} has no convergent subsequence then {|s|} diverges to infinity.

that is the question as printed in my book.

7. Oct 4, 2005 #6

CarlB

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Then I think you will need to make an argument based on a fact that I vaguely recall to the effect that any sequence to a compact space has a subsequence that converges to an element of the compact space.

Hey, it's been about 30 years since I studied this, and this is the limit of what I can help.

Carl

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?