1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sequences limits and cauchy sequences

1. Dec 7, 2008 #1

ibc

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    prove or refute:

if lim(a(2n)-a(n)=o , then a(n) is a cauchy sequence

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I need to prove that for every m,n big enough a(m)-a(n)<epsilon
    so I know for all m and n I can say m=l*n, lim(a(m)-a(n))=lim(a(n*l)-a(n*l/2) +a(n*l/2) -a(n*l/4)..........+a(2n)-a(n)), which is the sum of alot of zeros, though if I take m to be 2^n or something like that, I get an inifinite amount of zeros, so I don't know what I can do with that.
    so I tried to find a sequence which contredicts it, though couldn't find any

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    prove or refute:
    if |a(n+1)-a(n)|<9/10*|a(n)-a(n-1)|
    then a(n) is a cauchy sequence

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    well fromt he equation I can get:
    (|a(n+1)-a(n)|)/(|a(n)-a(n-1))<9/10<1
    so what it gives me is that all that in the power of n is going to zero, which means is a cauchy sequence, thoguh I don't see how it helps me =\

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 7, 2008 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, you want a counterexample for the first one. It's going to have to be a function that grows REALLY slowly. What kind of functions can you think of that do that? For the second one for n<m, a(n)-a(m)=(a(n)-a(n+1))+(a(n+1)-a(n+2))+(a(n+2)-a(n+3))+ ... (a(m-1)-a(m)). Think you can maybe bound that sum by a geometric series?

4. Dec 8, 2008 #3

ibc

I know I need something that grows really really slow, but I couldn't find any
    and we can't use functions yet in the course, so it'd have to be a sequence/series
    the slowest one I could think of is 1/1+1/2+1/3+1/4+...... which is good to refute the another question, which was "if lim(a(n+1)-a(n)=o , then a(n) is a cauchy sequence", though for this one it's not helpful.

5. Dec 8, 2008 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

a(n)=log(n) grows pretty slowly, but not quite slowly enough. Try sqrt(log(n)).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?