Convergence Test for Series with Exponential and Polynomial Terms

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of an appropriate convergence test to find the values of x for which the series \sumnk=1 1/ekkx is convergent. The ratio test is used and it is determined that the series is convergent for x < 1. However, the final solution is still in question.
wanchosen
I am having problems with the following question:

Using an appropriate convergence test, find the values of x [tex]\in[/tex] R for which the following series is convergent:

([tex]\sum[/tex]nk=1 1/ekkx)n

I used the ratio test to solve this but I'm not so sure about my solution:

n1 = [tex]\frac{1}{e}[/tex]

n2 = [tex]\frac{1}{e}[/tex] + [tex]\frac{1}{e^2 * 2^x}[/tex]

n3 = [tex]\frac{1}{e}[/tex] + [tex]\frac{1}{e^2 * 2^x}[/tex] + [tex]\frac{1}{e^3 * 3^x}[/tex]

n4 = [tex]\frac{1}{e}[/tex] + [tex]\frac{1}{e^2 * 2^x}[/tex] + [tex]\frac{1}{e^3 * 3^x}[/tex] + [tex]\frac{1}{e^4 * 4^x}[/tex]

[tex]\sum all n[/tex] = [tex]\frac{n}{e}[/tex] + [tex]\frac{n-1}{e^2*2^x}[/tex] + [tex]\frac{n-2}{e^3*3^x}[/tex]

So,

Un = [tex]\sum[/tex]nn=1 [tex]\frac{n-(k-1)}{e^k*k^x}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{n-(k-1)}{e^n*n^x}[/tex]

Un+1 = [tex]\sum[/tex]nk=1 [tex]\frac{(n+1)-(k-1)}{e^n*n^x}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{n-k+2}{e^(n+1) * (n+1)^x}[/tex]

n-->[tex]\infty[/tex]

Un+1/Un = [tex]\frac{(n-k+2)n^x}{(n-k+1)*(n+1)^x}[/tex]

divide by n

= [tex]\frac{((1-(k/n))n^(x-1)}{(1-(k/n)+(1/n)*((n+1)^x)/n}[/tex]

Lim[tex]\infty[/tex] nx-1 if convergent

|nx-1| < 1

so,

x-1 < 0

x < 1

Does this look right?

Physics news on Phys.org
How did you get this?
[tex]\sum all n = \frac{n}{e} + \frac{n - 1}{e^2 * 2^x} + \frac{n - 2}{e^3 * 3^x} [/tex]

I assumed because the whole expression is encased in ()n that we summed all terms for each value of k upto n.

I'm not sure why you are calling the "n1", "n2", etc. I presume you just mean "n= 1", "n= 2", etc.

And, I'm not at all clear on what you are doing calculating all those terms. You said you used the ratio test but that's just
[tex]\left(e^{-k}k^{-x}\right)\left(e^{k+1}(k+1)^{x}\right)= e\left(\frac{k+1}{k}\right)^k[/tex]
What is that as k goes to infinity? For what x is it less than 1?

Yes, I had misunderstood the ()n.

I believe, effectively the series is :-

[tex]\sum[/tex]n [tex]\frac{1}{e^n * n^x}[/tex]

If

Un = [tex]\frac{1}{e^n * n^x}[/tex]

and

U(n+1) = [tex]\frac{1}{e^(n+1) * (n+1)^x}[/tex]

then

U(n+1)/Un = [tex]\frac{n^x}{e * (n+1)^x}[/tex]

Therefore if the series is convergent:

[tex]\frac{n^x}{(n+1)^x}[/tex] < e

ln([tex]\frac{n^x}{(n+1)^x}[/tex]) < 1

x * ln([tex]\frac{n}{n+1}[/tex]) < 1

n/n+1 is always positive but less than one :- ln term is negative,

x > [tex]\frac{1}{ln(n) - ln (n+1)}[/tex]

but is this a final solution?

Related to Convergence Test for Series with Exponential and Polynomial Terms

1. What is the purpose of a series convergence test?

A series convergence test is used to determine whether an infinite series, which is a sum of an infinite number of terms, will converge to a finite value or diverge to infinity. It helps to identify which series are mathematically meaningful and which are not.

2. How do you know if a series converges or diverges?

There are various convergence tests that can be used to determine the convergence or divergence of a series. These include the integral test, comparison test, ratio test, root test, and alternating series test. Each test has its own specific conditions and criteria for convergence or divergence.

3. Can a series converge to more than one value?

No, a series can only converge to one value. If a series converges, it means that the sum of all the terms in the series approaches a finite value as the number of terms increases. If a series has multiple different sums, it is considered to diverge rather than converge.

4. What is the difference between absolute convergence and conditional convergence?

Absolute convergence refers to a series that converges regardless of the order in which the terms are arranged. In other words, the sum of the series will be the same no matter how the terms are rearranged. Conditional convergence, on the other hand, refers to a series that only converges when the terms are arranged in a specific order. If the terms are rearranged, the sum of the series may change or the series may even diverge.

5. How do series convergence tests relate to the real world?

Series convergence tests have many real-world applications, such as in finance, physics, and engineering. In finance, series convergence tests can be used to determine the growth or decline of investments over time. In physics, they can be used to analyze the behavior of infinite series in mathematical models. In engineering, they can be used to evaluate the stability and convergence of numerical methods used in computer simulations.