Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Series Convergence

1. Oct 17, 2005 #1
    Given [tex]a_{n} > 0[/tex] and [tex]\sum a_{n}[/tex] diverges, show that [tex]\sum \frac{a_{n}}{1+a_{n}}[/tex] diverges.
    Since I don't have an explicit form for the series, I can't apply any of the standard tests. I'm not sure where to start on this problem. I know the criteria for convergence/divergence, namely tail end of series has to converge or cauchy criterion condition. But I don't see how that helps without knowing what series looks like. Please steer me in the right direction.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 18, 2005 #2

Fermat

Homework Helper

If a series diverges, what happens to to its reciprocal ?

4. Oct 18, 2005 #3
    I would say reciprocal converges, but apparently it's not enough to bring original series to convergence... I thought about this a little more and I think I'll analyze it based on how [tex]a_{n}[/tex] diverges. that is, does it go to zero, constant, or infinity as n goes to infinity and try to bound the reciprocal from below to show series diverges.

5. Oct 18, 2005 #4
    For [itex]a_n>1[/itex]:

[tex]\frac{a_n}{1+a_n}>\frac{1}{2}[/tex]

For [itex]a_n\leq 1[/itex]:

[tex]\frac{a_n}{1+a_n}\geq\frac{a_n}{2}[/tex]

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook