Series expansion of logarithmic function ln(cosx)

In summary, the author suggests brute-force calculation of the first six derivatives of ln(cosx) at zero, then forming the Taylor series at zero.
seboastien

Homework Statement

A question asks me to find the first three non-zero terms of ln(cosx)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I wrote cos x as 1+(1-cos x), used the power series of ln function, expanded cosx and simplified, here is my answer: 1/2x^2 - 1/6x^4 + 1/16x^6

Is that right?

Physics news on Phys.org
seboastien said:
[A question asks me to find the first three non-zero terms of ln(cosx)

I wrote cos x as 1+(1-cos x), used the power series of ln function, expanded cosx and simplified, here is my answer: 1/2x^2 - 1/6x^4 + 1/16x^6

Is that right?

You can easily check for yourself. Try some suitable data, and use your calculator. Say, x=0.7

ln(cos(0.7)) = -0.282

How close is your approximation to this, for x=0.7 ?

okay, so It's wrong... where exactly have I messed up then?

They're being cute here. What is ln(cos x) the integral of? (If you don't recall, differentiate this function.) What is the series expansion of that function? Now integrate that term-by-term.

thanks, I'm not entirely certain, but is the differential -tanx?

seboastien said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Is that right?

If all you want are a few terms, the easiest method is to expand ln(1-z) in powers of z, then substitute the first few terms of 1-cos(x) in place of z, that is, to use z = x^2/2 - x^4/4! + x^6/6! - ... . As to where you messed up: do you *really* think that cos(x) = 1 + (1 - cos(x))?

RGV

seboastien said:
thanks, I'm not entirely certain, but is the differential -tanx?

It is: you have either worked out its series expansion in your course, or you can get the first few terms yourself.

seboastien said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

Is that right?

What's wrong with just brute-force calculation of the first six derivatives of that function at zero, then form the Taylor series at zero? Think it would have been easier than your persuit otherwise.

The solution suggested by dynamicsolo seems easy enough to me.

jackmell said:
What's wrong with just brute-force calculation of the first six derivatives of that function at zero, then form the Taylor series at zero?

There's nothing wrong with the direct approach. However, if a function can be recognized as being related to another one through algebraic manipulation, differentiation, or integration, you could save yourself a lot of work (sometimes work you already did to get the other Taylor/Maclaurin series).

And you get a bonus: the radius of convergence of a power series is not altered by differentiation or integration (and can be re-evaluated easily in the case of algebraic manipulation)!

1. What is the series expansion of ln(cosx)?

The series expansion of ln(cosx) is -1/2x^2 - 1/12x^4 - 1/45x^6 - ... where the coefficient for each term follows the pattern (-1)^n/(2n+1), and the exponent of x increases by 2 for each subsequent term.

2. How is the series expansion of ln(cosx) derived?

The series expansion of ln(cosx) can be derived using the Taylor series expansion formula for a function centered at x=0. By repeatedly taking derivatives of ln(cosx) and evaluating them at x=0, the coefficients of the series expansion can be determined.

3. What is the radius of convergence for the series expansion of ln(cosx)?

The series expansion of ln(cosx) has a radius of convergence of π/2, meaning that it will converge for all values of x within that interval. Outside of that interval, the series will diverge.

4. Can the series expansion of ln(cosx) be used to approximate the value of ln(cosx) for any value of x?

Yes, the series expansion of ln(cosx) can be used to approximate the value of ln(cosx) for any value of x within the radius of convergence. However, the accuracy of the approximation may decrease as x moves further away from the center of the series.

5. How many terms of the series expansion of ln(cosx) should be used for a sufficiently accurate approximation?

The number of terms needed for a sufficiently accurate approximation will depend on the desired level of precision and the value of x. In general, using more terms will result in a more accurate approximation.