Series expansion of xln((x+1)/x)

In summary: BleHBlcmllbmNlLCB3ZSBsZWF2ZSB0aGVpciBvbmx5IGV4cHJlc3Npb24/IFlvdSBkbyBub3QgcmVwbHkgdGhhdCBoYXBwZW5zIHlvdSBkaWQgaXQvOyBhcyB4PTk2Cg==In summary, the conversation is discussing how to determine the limit of a function as x approaches infinity. The first term of the function is 0 as x approaches infinity. The Maclaurin series is used to find the limit, but the process is not shown. The first
damoj
basically i have to check if
[tex] xln\frac{(x+1)}{x} [/tex]→ 1 as x→∞

the first term is 0 as x→∞

in the answers they say they used maclaurin series and got

[tex]x(\frac{1}{x} + O\frac{1}{1^{2}}) [/tex]

but don't show how they did it.

would the first term in the series be

[tex]a(ln(\frac{a+1}{a}))[/tex]

there a = 0, but then the ln function is defined?

im getting a little confused about have a=0 but we want to figure out where the function goes to as x→∞

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks to me it should be:

[tex]1/x(x+O(k))[/tex]

if instead of taking the limit at infinity, we take the limit at zero of the expression:

[tex]1/x\ln\left(\frac{1+1/x}{1/x}\right)[/tex]

Now we can express the log expression as a MacLaurin series.

sorry i don't understand what you mean.

are you rewriting our original expression?

how can i write the ln(1+(1/x)) expression so that its defined for x=0

Why is jackmell's suggestion useful?

[itex]\displaystyle \frac{1+1/x}{1/x}=x+1[/itex]

damoj said:
sorry i don't understand what you mean.

are you rewriting our original expression?

how can i write the ln(1+(1/x)) expression so that its defined for x=0

You should not care what happens near x = 0; after all, the question is asking about what happens as x --> infinity. So, if x is large, y = 1/x is small, and surely you know how ln(1+y) behaves near y = 0.

RGV

Related to Series expansion of xln((x+1)/x)

1. What is series expansion?

Series expansion is a mathematical technique used to approximate a complicated function by expressing it as a sum of simpler functions. It is useful for solving problems in calculus, physics, and other areas of science.

2. What is xln((x+1)/x)?

xln((x+1)/x) is a function that represents the natural logarithm of the ratio of (x+1) to x. It is a common function in series expansion problems and is used to approximate more complex expressions.

3. Why is series expansion of xln((x+1)/x) useful?

Series expansion of xln((x+1)/x) is useful because it allows us to approximate a complex function with a simpler one, making it easier to analyze and solve problems. It also helps us understand the behavior of the function for different values of x.

4. How is series expansion of xln((x+1)/x) calculated?

Series expansion of xln((x+1)/x) is calculated using the Taylor series, which is a mathematical formula for expressing a function as an infinite sum of terms. It requires finding the derivatives of the function and evaluating them at a specific point.

5. What are some applications of series expansion of xln((x+1)/x)?

Series expansion of xln((x+1)/x) has various applications in physics, engineering, and economics. It is used to approximate functions in optimization problems, to model nonlinear systems, and to analyze growth rates in financial investments. It is also used in quantum mechanics and statistical mechanics for solving problems related to energy levels and thermodynamic properties.