Is there a method for solving complex series involving Bessel functions?

In summary, the conversation discusses a particular type of integral that results in a series with Bessel functions. The speaker has searched through multiple books but has not found an exact match. They ask for a reference or method to solve this series. Another person suggests a book that uses contour integrals to manipulate the series.
xepma
In solving a particular kind of integral I ended up with the following series

[tex]\sum_{k=0}^\infty \frac{\Gamma[b+k]}{\Gamma[a+b+k]} \frac{(1-t^2)^k}{k!} \left(\frac{\omega}{2}\right)^k J_{a+b-\frac{1}{2} +k} (\omega)[/tex]

where 0<t<1, and a,b are small and positive.

I tried looking it up in a couple of books (Watson -- theory of Bessel functions, Prudnikov et al. -- Series and Integrals Vol 1-4, Gradshteyn -- Tables of Integrals) but this particular sum didn't appear in any of those (although some series came remarkably close). I tried substituting the bessel functions by a linear combination of Bessel functions times Lommel polynomials (see here) but this makes things even more complicated.

My question is, does anyone have either a good reference for a series like this, or knows some sort of method to solve it? Any hint is appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello,

There is a book called "Integral representation and the computation of combinatorial sums" by G. P. Egorychev that might be useful. The general idea is to convert each term of the series to a contour integral and then using some theorems from several complex variables to manipulate the integrals before switching back to a series form. I have never used this approach myself so I am not sure how effective it is but it might be worth a try.

Good Luck!

1. What is a Bessel function?

A Bessel function is a special type of mathematical function that arises in many areas of science and engineering. It is named after the German mathematician Friedrich Bessel and is defined as the solution to a certain differential equation.

2. What are the properties of a Bessel function?

Some of the key properties of Bessel functions include their oscillatory nature, their rapid decay as the argument increases, and their relation to trigonometric functions and complex numbers. They are also symmetric about the origin and have infinitely many zeros.

3. How are Bessel functions used in science?

Bessel functions have many applications in physics, engineering, and mathematics. They are particularly useful in problems involving wave phenomena, such as heat conduction, vibration, and electromagnetic waves. They are also used in areas such as signal processing, image analysis, and number theory.

4. Are there different types of Bessel functions?

Yes, there are several types of Bessel functions, including the first kind (Jn), the second kind (Yn), the modified Bessel function of the first kind (In), and the modified Bessel function of the second kind (Kn). These different types of Bessel functions have different properties and are used in different contexts.

5. How are Bessel functions related to other special functions?

Bessel functions are closely related to other special functions, such as Legendre functions and hypergeometric functions. In fact, many of these functions can be expressed in terms of Bessel functions, making them an important tool for solving various mathematical problems.