Limit of ∑ k/n^2 from k=1 to n as n Approaches Infinity

• Thread starter ƒ(x)
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Series
Get the answer you want "In summary, the limit of \sum k/n^2 from k=1 to n as n approaches infinity is 1/2."
ƒ(x)
If n is a positive integer, then the limit of [tex]\sum k/n^2[/tex] from k=1 to n as n approaches infinity = ?

A) pi
B) 1
C) 1/2
D) 1/pi
E) 0

How do I do this?

Physics news on Phys.org
c) 1/2

since 1/n^2 is constant remove it outside
sum of n natural numbers formula can be used for the summation
then you have lim tending to infinity
n(n+1)/(2n^2)
use L 'opital

should be right

payumooli said:
c) 1/2

since 1/n^2 is constant remove it outside
sum of n natural numbers formula can be used for the summation
then you have lim tending to infinity
n(n+1)/(2n^2)
use L 'opital

should be right

Except that, technically, L'Hospital's rule does not apply since n is given to have integer values. Just divide the numerator and denominator by n2 and use basic properties of limits.

If a sequence of functions, f(x), has limit L as x goes to a, then any sequence, {f(xn)}, with {xn} converging to a, must also converge to L. In particular, if f(x) goes to L as x goes to infinity, the sequence {f(n)} also converges to L. As long as a function of n, for n a positive integer, can be as a function of x, a real variable, (for example, does NOT involve factorials), L'Hopital's rule can be applied.

Yes, of course. That's why I said "technically". Still, I think it is best if students learn to use the more elementary methods when they are appropriate.

LCKurtz said:
Yes, of course. That's why I said "technically". Still, I think it is best if students learn to use the more elementary methods when they are appropriate.

personally i wouldn't prefer L opital either

Thanks, the answer is C. But, is there another way to do this?

ƒ(x) said:
Thanks, the answer is C. But, is there another way to do this?

You have been given two methods. Did you understand both? An experienced person doing a multiple choice question where you didn't have to show work or give a reason would have would just have looked at the ratio of the n2 terms to get the answer.

Related to Limit of ∑ k/n^2 from k=1 to n as n Approaches Infinity

What is the limit of the series ∑ k/n^2 as n approaches infinity?

The limit of the series ∑ k/n^2 as n approaches infinity is 0. This can be proven using the integral test or by recognizing that the series is a convergent p-series with p=2.

How do you calculate the value of the series ∑ k/n^2 as n approaches infinity?

The value of the series ∑ k/n^2 as n approaches infinity is equal to the limit of the series, which is 0. This means that as n gets larger and larger, the terms in the series become smaller and smaller, eventually approaching 0.

What does it mean for a series to have a limit as n approaches infinity?

When a series has a limit as n approaches infinity, it means that as n gets larger and larger, the terms in the series approach a specific value. This can be a finite number, infinity, or negative infinity. In the case of ∑ k/n^2, the limit is 0.

Can the limit of ∑ k/n^2 from k=1 to n be negative?

No, the limit of ∑ k/n^2 from k=1 to n cannot be negative. This is because all the terms in the series are positive, and as n approaches infinity, the terms become smaller, eventually approaching 0.

What are some real-world applications of the series ∑ k/n^2 as n approaches infinity?

The series ∑ k/n^2 as n approaches infinity can be used in various mathematical and scientific calculations, such as in the calculation of areas under curves or in the study of electricity and magnetism. It is also used in determining the convergence or divergence of infinite series, which has applications in physics, economics, and other fields.