Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Series Question

1. Jan 8, 2010 #1
    If n is a positive integer, then the limit of [tex]\sum k/n^2[/tex] from k=1 to n as n approaches infinity = ?

A) pi
    B) 1
    C) 1/2
    D) 1/pi
    E) 0

How do I do this?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 8, 2010 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Can you compute the sum ?

4. Jan 8, 2010 #3
    c) 1/2

since 1/n^2 is constant remove it outside
    sum of n natural numbers formula can be used for the summation
    then you have lim tending to infinity
    n(n+1)/(2n^2)
    use L 'opital

should be right

5. Jan 8, 2010 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Except that, technically, L'Hospital's rule does not apply since n is given to have integer values. Just divide the numerator and denominator by n2 and use basic properties of limits.

6. Jan 9, 2010 #5

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

If a sequence of functions, f(x), has limit L as x goes to a, then any sequence, {f(xn)}, with {xn} converging to a, must also converge to L. In particular, if f(x) goes to L as x goes to infinity, the sequence {f(n)} also converges to L. As long as a function of n, for n a positive integer, can be as a function of x, a real variable, (for example, does NOT involve factorials), L'Hopital's rule can be applied.

7. Jan 9, 2010 #6

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, of course. That's why I said "technically". Still, I think it is best if students learn to use the more elementary methods when they are appropriate.

8. Jan 9, 2010 #7
    personally i wouldnt prefer L opital either

9. Jan 10, 2010 #8
    Thanks, the answer is C. But, is there another way to do this?

10. Jan 10, 2010 #9

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You have been given two methods. Did you understand both? An experienced person doing a multiple choice question where you didn't have to show work or give a reason would have would just have looked at the ratio of the n2 terms to get the answer.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook