1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Series Question

1. Jan 8, 2010 #1
    If n is a positive integer, then the limit of [tex]\sum k/n^2[/tex] from k=1 to n as n approaches infinity = ?

A) pi
    B) 1
    C) 1/2
    D) 1/pi
    E) 0

How do I do this?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 8, 2010 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Can you compute the sum ?

4. Jan 8, 2010 #3
    c) 1/2

since 1/n^2 is constant remove it outside
    sum of n natural numbers formula can be used for the summation
    then you have lim tending to infinity
    n(n+1)/(2n^2)
    use L 'opital

should be right

5. Jan 8, 2010 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Except that, technically, L'Hospital's rule does not apply since n is given to have integer values. Just divide the numerator and denominator by n2 and use basic properties of limits.

6. Jan 9, 2010 #5

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

If a sequence of functions, f(x), has limit L as x goes to a, then any sequence, {f(xn)}, with {xn} converging to a, must also converge to L. In particular, if f(x) goes to L as x goes to infinity, the sequence {f(n)} also converges to L. As long as a function of n, for n a positive integer, can be as a function of x, a real variable, (for example, does NOT involve factorials), L'Hopital's rule can be applied.

7. Jan 9, 2010 #6

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, of course. That's why I said "technically". Still, I think it is best if students learn to use the more elementary methods when they are appropriate.

8. Jan 9, 2010 #7
    personally i wouldnt prefer L opital either

9. Jan 10, 2010 #8
    Thanks, the answer is C. But, is there another way to do this?

10. Jan 10, 2010 #9

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You have been given two methods. Did you understand both? An experienced person doing a multiple choice question where you didn't have to show work or give a reason would have would just have looked at the ratio of the n2 terms to get the answer.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook