1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Series RCL Circuits

1. Jul 16, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A series RCL circuit contains a 47.0 resistor, a 2.00 µF capacitor, and a 5.00 mH inductor. When the frequency is 2520 Hz, what is the power factor of the circuit?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know power factor is the cos(angle), but i'm having trouble figuring out what this question is actually asking for
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 16, 2008 #2
    i bet that the power factor is just the phase difference btw inductor and capacitor voltages : )
  4. Jul 16, 2008 #3
    at resonance the power dissipation is maximum (i mean if the source resistance is matched to R).. and the phase difference btw C and L voltages is 90 degrees. which makes a power factor of cos90 = 0?
  5. Jul 16, 2008 #4
    ok i get it know theta is defined as (pi/2 - phi). phi being the phase difference btw C and L voltages. and at resonance, phase difference is pi/2 and that makes power_factor = 1 = Vr/Vo, which implies that all of the source voltage (Vo) is observed on the resistance (Vr), which was expected, since at resonance C and L cancels each other.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?