Set of points of strict increase is Borel

In summary: Let q\in I be an irrational point of strict increase. Then there exists a largest open interval (s,u) containing q with (s,u)\subset I. Since the rationals are dense, there exists a rational t\in (s,u). Since t is rational, there exists a maximal open interval (s',u') containing t, such that (s',u')\subset I. By maximality of (s',u'), we must have (s,u)\subset (s',u').In summary, Christoff shows that if an irrational point of strict increase exists in I, then it is contained in one of the \epsilon
camillio
Hello all,

I'm thinking about the following exercise from Intro to stoch. analysis:

Let [itex]V[/itex] be a continuous, nondecreasing function on [itex]\mathbb{R}[/itex] and [itex]\Lambda[/itex] its Lebesgue-Stieltjes measure. Say [itex]t[/itex] is a point of strict increase for [itex]V[/itex] if [itex] V(s) < V(t) < V(u)[/itex] for all [itex]s<t[/itex] and all [itex]u>t[/itex]. Let [itex]I[/itex] be the set of such points. Show that [itex]I[/itex] is a Borel set and [itex]\Lambda(I^C) = 0[/itex].

My attempt to this exercise:
By definition, for any rational point [itex]t \in I[/itex] there exists an [itex]\epsilon[/itex]-neighbourhood of [itex]t[/itex] containing [itex]s<t[/itex] and [itex]u>t[/itex] where [itex]s,u \in I[/itex]. The neighbourhood, forming an open set, is Borel. Countable (due to rationality of [itex]t[/itex]s) union of these neighbourhoods forms [itex]I[/itex] which is Borel too.

Complement of [itex]I[/itex] is hence a countable union of connected sets (say [itex]J_i, i=1,...,n[/itex]) where, due to the nondecreasing property [itex]V(x) = V(y)[/itex] for all [itex]x,y[/itex] in particular [itex]J_i[/itex]. Since [itex]\Lambda(J_i) = |V(x)-V(y)| = 0[/itex] for any connected set [itex]J_i[/itex], hence [itex]\Lambda(I^C) = \Lambda(\cup J_i) = 0[/itex].

Intuitively, I feel that my proof misses or skips something important...

Physics news on Phys.org
I have very little experience with measure theory, but from what I do know, this seems fine to me. If I might ask, where do you feel your proof is lacking? If you elaborate on this, I may be able to offer some input.

christoff said:
I have very little experience with measure theory, but from what I do know, this seems fine to me. If I might ask, where do you feel your proof is lacking? If you elaborate on this, I may be able to offer some input.

Thank you for your response, Christoff. My uncertainty followed from my considering only rational [itex]t[/itex]s and I was unsure whether my approach doesn't neglect some sets.

camillio said:
Thank you for your response, Christoff. My uncertainty followed from my considering only rational [itex]t[/itex]s and I was unsure whether my approach doesn't neglect some sets.

Hmm, good point. I hadn't considered that. I don't think, however, that it is too difficult to show that any irrational point of strict increase is contained in one of your [itex]\epsilon[/itex]-neighbourhoods of a rational point.

eg. Let [itex]q\in I[/itex] be an irrational point of strict increase. Then there exists a largest open interval [itex](s,u)[/itex] containing q with [itex](s,u)\subset I[/itex]. Since the rationals are dense, there exists a rational [itex]t\in (s,u)[/itex]. Since t is rational, there exists a maximal open interval [itex](s',u')[/itex] containing t, such that [itex](s',u')\subset I[/itex]. By maximality of [itex] (s',u')[/itex], we must have [itex](s,u)\subset (s',u')[/itex].

In conclusion, you don't miss any irrational points. I think that should do it.

Thank you Christoff :-)

Probably for the irrational points it follows directly from their property of being accumulation points of sequences of rationals.

1. What is a set of points of strict increase?

A set of points of strict increase is a collection of points on a graph where the y-values increase as the corresponding x-values increase. In other words, the points form a strictly increasing function.

2. What is the Borel set?

The Borel set is a collection of subsets of a given topological space that is generated by the open sets of that space. In other words, a Borel set is any set that can be formed by taking countable unions, intersections, and complements of open sets.

3. How are the set of points of strict increase and Borel set related?

The set of points of strict increase is a subset of the Borel set. This means that all points of strict increase are also Borel sets, but not all Borel sets are points of strict increase.

4. Can a set of points of strict increase be uncountable?

Yes, a set of points of strict increase can be uncountable. This means that there can be an infinite number of points in the set, making it impossible to list or count all of them.

5. How is the concept of strict increase useful in mathematics?

The concept of strict increase is useful in many areas of mathematics, including calculus, statistics, and analysis. It allows us to describe and analyze functions that are increasing at a constant rate, which is important in understanding many real-world phenomena.