Set Theory Proof: Proving Identity (A U B) ∩ (B U C) ∩ (C U A)

In summary, the conversation discusses the set theory identity of (A union B) intersect (B union C) intersect (C union A) = (A intersect B) union (B intersect C) union (C intersect A). The individual has been trying to solve it by simplifying the expression using venn diagrams, but it was not successful. The expert suggests using the rule of distributing union over intersection and vice versa to simplify the expression. The individual was able to solve it in around 12 lines using this method.
hmph
Hi, I have been trying for a very long time to prove the following set theory identity

(A union B) intersect (B union C) intersect (C union A) = (A intersect B) union (B intersect C) union (C intersect A).

I thought that I could simplify (A U B) intersect (B U C) intersect (C U A)
as [B U (A intersect C) ]intersect (C U A), but venn diagrams show that this is not correct.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know how to distribute union over intersection and vice versa?
(AuB)^(BuC) = (A^(BuC))u(B^(BuC))
Since B^(BuC) = B you can simplify that a little.
Just keep applying those rules and the result should drop out.
If you get stuck, post your working so far.

Thank you, it worked. I probably did it in a more convoluted manner than required, but I was able to do it in around 12 lines.

I didn't realize that you could distribute like that at first.

1. What is Set Theory Proof?

Set Theory Proof is a method used in mathematics to prove the truth or validity of a statement or equation involving sets. It involves using logical reasoning and mathematical operations to show that the given statement is true.

2. What is an Identity in Set Theory?

In Set Theory, an identity is a statement that is always true, regardless of the values of the elements in the sets involved. It is often expressed in the form of an equation, such as (A U B) ∩ (B U C) ∩ (C U A) = A U B U C.

3. How do you prove an Identity using Set Theory Proof?

To prove an Identity using Set Theory Proof, you must show that the left side of the equation is a subset of the right side, and vice versa. This can be done by breaking down the sets into their individual elements and using logical operations, such as union and intersection, to manipulate the sets and show that they are equal.

4. What is the significance of proving the identity (A U B) ∩ (B U C) ∩ (C U A)?

Proving the identity (A U B) ∩ (B U C) ∩ (C U A) = A U B U C has several uses in Set Theory. It can be used to simplify complex expressions involving sets, to establish relationships between sets, and to prove other theorems and identities.

5. Are there any tips for successfully proving Set Theory Identities?

Some tips for successfully proving Set Theory Identities include understanding the properties of sets, being familiar with logical operations, and using visual aids, such as Venn diagrams, to visualize the sets and their relationships. It is also important to carefully break down and manipulate the sets step-by-step to clearly show the proof.