How can I set up fractions on my TI-89 calculator?

In summary, the TI-89 Titanium Edition calculator allows for fractions to be set up by formatting them as division terms. To add fractions, the user can type the numerator, followed by the division symbol, then the denominator, and use the plus sign to add additional fractions. The solution can be shown as an exact or approximate value.
phillipb115
Ok, so I have a TI-89 Titanium Edition calculator. I want to know how to setup fractions on it. Like I want to be able to do it like on a regular scientific calculator where you somethign like 2 Ab/c3 and then that would give you 2 over 3 (2/3). Is it possible to set up a fraction in the calcualtor like that? I know it wouldn't be the same button and stuff, but how woudl I do it? Thanks!

Computer science news on Phys.org
A fraction can be set up by simply formatting it as a division term. If you want to add, say, 3/7 and 8/13, just type 3 (divided by) 7 (plus) 8 (divided by) 13. The solution will appear as 95/91, the exact solution, or you can have the approximate solution by pressing the diamond key before entering the expression.

Yes, it is possible to set up fractions on your TI-89 calculator. Here's how you can do it:

1. Press the "Mode" button on your calculator and scroll down to "Exact/Approx" and press "Enter".

2. Scroll down to "Exact" and press "Enter" again.

3. Press the "Apps" button and scroll down to "Symbolic" and press "Enter".

4. Scroll down to "Fraction" and press "Enter".

5. Now, when you enter a fraction like 2 Ab/c3, the calculator will automatically convert it to 2/3.

You can also use the fraction button (located above the "7" button) to enter fractions directly. For example, to enter 2/3, you would press "2" followed by the fraction button and then "3".

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions.

1. How do I set up fractions on my TI-89 calculator?

To set up fractions on your TI-89 calculator, you can use the "Frac" button located on the right side of the calculator. Press this button to enter a fraction and use the arrow keys to navigate between the numerator and denominator. Alternatively, you can also use the "Math" menu and select "Frac" to enter a fraction.

2. Can I convert a decimal to a fraction on my TI-89 calculator?

Yes, you can convert a decimal to a fraction on your TI-89 calculator by using the "Dec" button. Simply enter the decimal number and press the "Dec" button to convert it to a fraction. You can also use the "Math" menu and select "Dec" to convert a decimal to a fraction.

3. How do I simplify fractions on my TI-89 calculator?

To simplify fractions on your TI-89 calculator, you can use the "Simplify" button located on the right side of the calculator. Press this button after entering a fraction to simplify it. You can also use the "Math" menu and select "Simplify" to simplify a fraction.

4. Is there a way to enter mixed fractions on my TI-89 calculator?

Yes, you can enter mixed fractions on your TI-89 calculator by using the "Frac" button and entering the whole number, numerator, and denominator separately. For example, to enter 2 and 1/2, you would enter "2" then press the "Frac" button, enter "1" for the numerator, and enter "2" for the denominator. You can also use the "Math" menu and select "Frac" to enter mixed fractions.

5. Can I perform operations with fractions on my TI-89 calculator?

Yes, you can perform operations with fractions on your TI-89 calculator by using the appropriate math operations (+, -, *, /) and entering the fractions as described above. You can also use the "Math" menu and select the desired operation to perform with fractions. Remember to use parentheses to ensure the correct order of operations.