What are the safety precautions for handling a shaded-pole motor?

In summary, a shaded-pole motor found inside electric can openers is typically just a turn or two of copper wrapped around part of the core, and will not develop voltage. If there is a short between the main coil and the iron core, the entire assembly will be "hot".
mishima
Hi, I was looking for some information on how to safely handle a shaded-pole motor of the sort found inside electric can openers and plugged into the mains. I was not sure of the voltages present on the shaded pole coils in particular.

Engineering news on Phys.org
For safety you should assume all exposed metalwork _might_ be at mains potential.

Also, @mishima since electric can openers are usually designed as double-insulated devices with 2--prong power cords, the AC Mains motor is likely not isolated from Hot/Neutral (but the mechanical assembly allows for external metal parts of the can opener to be doubly-insulated from the AC Mains input). This means that you should be using an AC Mains Isolation Transformer if you are working with such a motor. Are you familiar with Isolation Transformers?

Interesting assembly view of a typical can opener:

https://patentimages.storage.googleapis.com/pages/US3178813-2.png
US3178813-2.png

Attachments

• US3178813-2.png
    US3178813-2.png
    27.9 KB · Views: 1,114
Likes dlgoff
That is an interesting example from the 1960s, and interesting to compare to a modern version. The belt drives are replaced with a compound (plastic) gear train that enables just one motor to get the job done.

I'm not familiar with isolation transformers because I've always been too scared to work with AC. Sounds like a good starting point for study.

mishima said:
I was not sure of the voltages present on the shaded pole coils in particular.

typical shaded pole winding is just a turn or two , usually copper, wrapped around part of the core. Since it's a shorted turn it can't develop voltage.

Only way there'd be voltage present is if there's a short between the main coil and the iron core making the entire assembly "hot"

Does yours resemble this ?
from: http://www.johnsonelectric.com/en/resources-for-engineers/ac-motors/principle-of-operation
ac-motors-theory-04.jpg

I played with lots of them as a kid, mostly affixing model airplane propellers to make handheld fans. Good thing they're inherently safe.

Still, check for voltage before you grab hold of it.

old jim

Attachments

• ac-motors-theory-04.jpg
    ac-motors-theory-04.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 747
Last edited:
That's the one, though mine has 2 shaded coils. And thanks, that makes sense about no voltages being on them.

Attachments

• 220px-Shaded_pole_detail.jpg
    220px-Shaded_pole_detail.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 591

1. What is a shaded-pole motor?

A shaded-pole motor is a type of single-phase induction motor that uses a shading coil to create a rotating magnetic field. This field is what allows the motor to start and run without the need for a separate starting mechanism.

2. How does a shaded-pole motor work?

A shaded-pole motor works by using a shading coil, which is a copper ring or bar placed around a portion of the pole pieces. When an AC current is applied to the coil, it creates a magnetic field that lags behind the main field produced by the stator. This lagging field creates a rotating magnetic field, which causes the rotor to turn.

3. What are the main safety concerns with shaded-pole motors?

The main safety concerns with shaded-pole motors are electrical shock, fire hazards, and mechanical hazards. Due to the high voltage and current involved, proper insulation and grounding are crucial for preventing electrical shock. Fire hazards can arise if the motor overheats or if there are any loose connections. Mechanical hazards can occur if the motor is not properly installed or maintained, leading to potential injuries or property damage.

4. How can I ensure the safety of a shaded-pole motor?

To ensure the safety of a shaded-pole motor, it is important to follow proper installation and maintenance procedures. This includes using the correct wiring and connections, ensuring proper grounding, and regularly inspecting the motor for any signs of damage or wear. It is also important to follow all safety guidelines and precautions, such as wearing protective gear and turning off power before working on the motor.

5. Are there any safety standards or regulations for shaded-pole motors?

Yes, there are safety standards and regulations for shaded-pole motors that are set by organizations such as the National Electrical Manufacturers Association (NEMA) and the International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC). These standards outline specific safety requirements and guidelines for the design, construction, and use of shaded-pole motors to ensure their safe operation.