Shape Operator for Schwarzschild spacetime in 2-dim

In summary: The computation would depend on the embedding and thus the result would not deliver any general information that could be useful for a discussion?
honeytrap
Hello:

I would like to understand how to compute the shape operator (and eigenvalues etc) for a complex example like the Schwarzschild spacetime. It's easy for a submanifold in Euclidean space, but I don't know how to do it for the more advanced examples like the schwarzschild spacetime in 2-dim.

QUESTION:

Given the Schwarzschild metric in Eddington-Finkelstein coordinates in 2-
dim:
ds^2 = -(1 - 2M/r)dv^2 + 2dvdr , which is a surface.

How can I compute the Schwarzschild
a) Shape operator (Weingarten map or second fundamental tensor)
b) unit normal vectorfield
c) Eigenvalues of the Shape operator matrix?

I know all the definitons etc., but the 2-dim Schwarzschild is not the typical
surface/ submanifold embedded in Euclidean space.
Could someone show me how to compute the steps a)-c) so that I understand it for this
example (and can apply it to other examples/metrics)?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Seriously, you want to describe the curvature of a 2-dimensional submanifold in a 4-dimensional one? In general that's going to be quite complicated -- a blend of the Gauss-Codazzi equations with the Serret-Frenet ones for a curve. Not simply a second fundamental form.

But anyway for the case you're describing, the (u,v) manifold in Schwarzschild spacetime, isn't the exterior curvature identically zero, by reflection symmetry? The normals to the surface would lie in the 2-sphere (θ, φ), and there would be no reason for the surface to be curved preferentially in any of those directions. I say, exteriorly speaking, it's flat.

Thanks for your answer!
I am actually interested in the 2-dimensional (u,v)- "Schwarzschild" manifold (surface) defined by the metric above.
From the shape operator (e.g. the eigenvalues = principal curvatures) you can derive the Gaussian curvature and the mean curvature. I computed the Ricci tensor and then the Gaussian curvature for the mentioned 2-dim manifold and both of them are not zero. Thus the eigenvalues (principal curvatures) of the shape operator matrix cannot be zero either. (Contradiction to flatness?)

I am interested in the eigenvalues and eigenvectors, but don't know how to compute them. I obviously need first the shape operator matrix.
Any help is appreciated!

If the shape operator includes the mean curvature, than there's no way you can compute it purely intrinsically! It depends upon the embedding.

Yes, having just looked up the definition of the shape operator, it certainly depends on the embedding. Intrinsically-defined surfaces don't have normal vectors at all.

Ben Niehoff said:
If the shape operator includes the mean curvature, than there's no way you can compute it purely intrinsically! It depends upon the embedding.

Yes, having just looked up the definition of the shape operator, it certainly depends on the embedding. Intrinsically-defined surfaces don't have normal vectors at all.

This means then that it doesn't make sense to calculate the shape operator at all?
Or is there a canonical embedding that could be picked (e.g. 3-dim Euclidean/ Minkowski space)?
The computation would depend on the embedding and thus the result would not deliver any general information that could be useful for a discussion?

I assumed that since it was a subspace of Schwarzschild, you were embedding it in Schwarzschild! In which case my remark about the reflection symmetry applies.

1. What is the shape operator for Schwarzschild spacetime in 2-dim?

The shape operator for Schwarzschild spacetime in 2-dim is a mathematical tool used to describe the curvature of a two-dimensional surface embedded in a four-dimensional spacetime. It is a tensor that represents the rate of change of the normal vector to the surface with respect to the tangent vectors at a given point on the surface.

2. How is the shape operator related to the curvature of spacetime?

The shape operator is related to the curvature of spacetime through the Gauss-Codazzi equations, which relate the intrinsic curvature of a surface embedded in a higher-dimensional space to the extrinsic curvature represented by the shape operator. In the case of Schwarzschild spacetime in 2-dim, the shape operator is related to the intrinsic curvature of a two-dimensional surface embedded in a four-dimensional spacetime.

3. What is the significance of the shape operator in general relativity?

The shape operator plays a crucial role in general relativity as it allows us to describe the curvature of spacetime in terms of the curvature of a lower-dimensional surface. This is important because it simplifies the mathematical calculations involved in understanding the behavior of spacetime in the presence of massive objects, such as black holes.

4. How is the shape operator calculated for Schwarzschild spacetime in 2-dim?

The shape operator for Schwarzschild spacetime in 2-dim can be calculated using the metric tensor, which describes the distance between points in spacetime. By taking derivatives of the metric tensor and using it to calculate the normal vector to the surface, the shape operator can be determined at any point on the surface.

5. Can the shape operator be used to study other spacetimes besides Schwarzschild in 2-dim?

Yes, the shape operator is a general mathematical tool that can be applied to any spacetime, regardless of its dimension. It is commonly used in general relativity to study the curvature of various spacetimes, such as the Kerr spacetime, which describes the spacetime around a rotating black hole.