When will the paddle break?

• Thread starter meanswing
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Break
In summary, the conversation discusses the breaking point of a red paddle due to drag force from water and force from a pneumatic cylinder. The forces and their respective equations are described, and the concept of yield strength and critical shear stress is mentioned. The paddle is fixed to the piston with a bracket and the weight of the paddle is negligible. The pivot point is the centerpoint of the bracket and the maximum force on the paddle is equal to the force from the piston. The bending moment and bending stress on the paddle are also mentioned and it is advised to ensure that the stress does not exceed the yield strength with a factor of safety. The bending moment is dependent on the velocity of the paddle.
meanswing
Hi Everyone. I am trying to find out when this paddle (in red) would break due to the force of the drag of the water and from the force of the pneumatic cylinder that is pushing it. I took intro to statics but as you can see with the figure the machine is not static. Can someone point me to the right direction.

Here is my attempt:

let the force of the water be the drag force of the water, F_w = C_d*rho*v^2*A_p , where C_d is the coefficient of drag of the paddle, rho is the density of water, v is the velocity of the paddel, and A_p is the cross sectional area of the paddle exposed to the water. The force of the pneumatic piston is, F_p = P*A_b = P*pi*d^2/4 , such that P is the pressure supplied to the cylinder and d is the diameter of the piston bore.

The paddle will break when the applied forces exceeds the paddles yield strength so. Let sigma be the yield strength resulting from the drag force and the force of the piston.

sigma = (F_w + F_p)/A_p

piston.jpg

Engineering news on Phys.org
Is the paddle fixed to the piston? There does not appear to be a pivot point. Does one consider the force of gravity, i.e., weight of paddle.

It is static in the sense that one is looking for the maximum force which would cause the maximum stress to exceed yield or critical shear stress if that is the criterion for failure. The force in the water occurs in conjunction with the force in the piston - but the two forces are not colinear, so there is a moment induced during motion of the paddle.

You can treat the problem as a beam. Consider the fixed end to be mounted and not moving. Then use the force of the water as you would a variably loaded cantilever beam. That should help you.

@ Astronuc , yes the paddle is fixed to the piston with a bracket (yellow) and the weight of the paddle is negligible compared to the forces applied to it. What do you mean there doesn't seem to be a pivot point?

@cstoos Shouldnt i consider the Force from the piston pushing the bracket. Wouldnt that increase maximum force being applied to the paddle?

meanswing: The pivot point (or rather, the point about which the paddle would try to rotate, if it could) is the centerpoint of the yellow bracket. The maximum possible force on the paddle, Fw, is Fw = Fp. Therefore, you can use Fp to compute Fw, unless you already have velocity v. You don't include Fp hereafter in the moment summation, because Fp causes no moment about the pivot point. Don't worry too much about shear force. Instead, you need to compute bending moment, M, on the paddle, which is Fw in your second diagram multiplied by the distance from Fw to the yellow bracket. After you obtain M, compute bending stress, sigma = M*c/I. Ensure sigma does not exceed Sty/FSy, where Sty = tensile yield strength, and FSy = yield factor of safety, such as 1.50 or 2.0.

Bending Moment is Fw*(2L-11/12L-L/2)=Fw*7L/12, and in your case depend on the velocity.

1. When will the paddle break?

The paddle will break when it is subjected to a force that exceeds its breaking point. The exact time or number of uses before it breaks cannot be predicted as it depends on various factors such as the material of the paddle, the strength of the force applied, and the condition of the paddle.

2. What is the breaking point of a paddle?

The breaking point of a paddle varies depending on the type of material used. Generally, wooden paddles have a lower breaking point compared to carbon fiber or composite paddles. However, the breaking point can also be affected by the age and condition of the paddle.

3. Can I extend the lifespan of my paddle?

Yes, you can extend the lifespan of your paddle by taking proper care of it. Make sure to store it in a dry and cool place, avoid exposing it to extreme temperatures, and regularly clean and maintain it. Also, avoid using it for activities that exceed its intended use, as this can significantly decrease its lifespan.

4. What are the signs that my paddle is about to break?

Some signs that your paddle is about to break include visible cracks or dents, a change in its shape or flexibility, and a decrease in its overall performance. If you notice any of these signs, it is best to replace your paddle to avoid potential accidents or injuries.

5. Can I repair a broken paddle?

It depends on the extent of the damage and the type of material used for the paddle. Some paddles can be repaired with specific materials and techniques, while others may need to be replaced entirely. It is best to consult a professional or the manufacturer for advice on repairing a broken paddle.