Shearing Force - Cutting Force

In summary: Merchant's circle is a model that is used to calculate theoretical cutting forces without actually performing the experiment.
raniero
I have been assigned by my tutor to design a plastic granulator. After designing its features of the shaft, rotor etc I tried to calculate the force needed of cutting a piece of plastic (POM/Polycarbonate) having an ultimate tensile strength of 70 Mpa (shear strength assumed to be equal to tensile). The maximum thickness of the plastic slab was fixed to 0.01m and assumed to be the length of the blades, 0.6m. This set up would cater for the maximum cutting action since plastic material is spread all over the blades.

The equation I used was: F = A x Ss

where F is the cutting force, A is the shear area (0.01 x 0.6) , and Ss is the shear strength.

Using this equation the cutting force would be ridiculously large, 420 kN.

Can someone please point me in the right direction ? Books, examples and explanations are appreciated

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
What is your objection to 420 kN?

420 kN sounds right for shear...

raniero said:
Can someone please point me in the right direction? Books, examples and explanations are appreciated

Ever tried to cut a tomato with a spoon? Why does a sharp knife require less force than spoon? How do you think you would calculate the cutting force required of a spoon vs a knife?

As far as cutting sheet goes, look at a pair of scissors, do they cut the entire sheet at once? Have you used a guillotine to cut sheet stock? they cut along the sheet like scissors.

Bystander said:
What is your objection to 420 kN?

The work was calculated using W=Fd, the rotor cuts 6 times per rotation and when calculating for 200 rpm the energy requirement is huge, in the tune of 7MW. Similar granulators have extremely lower power ratings.

And, if you examine them closely, you will notice that the blades are helices about the axis of the cutter --- they don't sever the entire 60 cm2 at once. Shears are built as guillotines for the same reason.

billy_joule said:
420 kN sounds right for shear...
Ever tried to cut a tomato with a spoon? Why does a sharp knife require less force than spoon? How do you think you would calculate the cutting force required of a spoon vs a knife?

As far as cutting sheet goes, look at a pair of scissors, do they cut the entire sheet at once? Have you used a guillotine to cut sheet stock? they cut along the sheet like scissors.

Thanks for your insight. A sharp knife has a very low area increasing pressure whick makes cutting 'easier'. Analysing the different areas of a knife and a spoon would show the force needed to cut.

Scissors do not cut at once no, but the design was made to do so (similar to marketed granulators)

I was suspecting that the cutting force I obtained was not realistic

Bystander said:
And, if you examine them closely, you will notice that the blades are helices about the axis of the cutter --- they don't sever the entire 60 cm2 at once. Shears are built as guillotines for the same reason.

Apart from the helical blades, if you consider the height, the blade does not penetrate the whole height (in my case 0.01m) in an instant but rather depend on the cutting velocity (in my case on rotational velocity since its a rotor). Does this make sens ? If so, how can I represent it mathematically to obtain maximum force needed ?

raniero said:
If so, how can I represent it mathematically to obtain maximum force needed ?

You have just exceeded my ability to assist --- I understand the question, but I can't tell you what to do to set it up, or how to solve it. Tool shape is going to sneak in on it as well --- hollow ground, wedge, relief, etc..

Merchant's circle is the most basic model:

http://www.learnengineering.org/2013/01/cutting-force-analysis-merchant-circle.html

A textbook on manufacturing technology is a good place to start.

billy_joule said:
Merchant's circle is the most basic model:

http://www.learnengineering.org/2013/01/cutting-force-analysis-merchant-circle.html

A textbook on manufacturing technology is a good place to start.

Isn't merchant's circle based on the orthogonal cutting method ? If I recall correctly, the orthogonal cutting method can be used only when you can physically measure certain cutting forces, using these forces to 'derive' other forces to be used theoretically.

1. What is shearing force?

Shearing force is a type of force that occurs when two objects move or slide against each other in opposite directions. It is also known as cutting force and is commonly seen in various cutting processes such as sawing, drilling, and machining.

2. What causes shearing force?

Shearing force is caused by the resistance between two surfaces as they slide against each other. This can be due to friction, adhesion, or other physical properties of the materials involved. In cutting processes, shearing force is mainly caused by the sharp edge of a tool or blade pushing against the material being cut.

3. How is shearing force measured?

Shearing force can be measured using a force gauge or load cell, which can determine the amount of force required to cut or shear a material. This measurement is typically given in units of newtons or pounds.

4. What factors affect shearing force?

There are several factors that can affect shearing force, including the type of material being cut, the sharpness and geometry of the cutting tool, the speed and direction of the cutting motion, and the amount of pressure applied. Other factors such as temperature, surface finish, and lubrication can also have an impact on shearing force.

5. How can shearing force be reduced?

There are several ways to reduce shearing force, such as using a sharper cutting tool, reducing the cutting speed, lubricating the cutting surface, and using a lower cutting pressure. Choosing the right cutting method and tool for a specific material can also help to minimize shearing force and improve cutting efficiency.