Simple Harmonic Motion: Finding Amplitude, Velocity, and Acceleration

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of SHM and the confusion regarding finding amplitude, velocity, and acceleration. The formula for SHM is mentioned, but it is unclear where it came from. The question of whether basic formulas or differential equations are used in class is also brought up, as well as the nature of omega as a function of time. The conversation ends with the clarification that omega is not a function of time and a typing mistake being pointed out.
Pao44445
I am studying about SHM but I don't know how to find an amplitude,velocity,acceralation of motio. I know the formula but I don't understand where it came from

x = Asin(omega(t))

Physics news on Phys.org
Question: Do you use basic formulas in class or use differential equations?
And also is omega really a function of time?

DarkBabylon said:
Yes, I remembered but I was so confused so I don't know how differential relate to this

DarkBabylon said:

I think you know that omega is not a function of time. you have detected a typing 'mistake'..well done

What is Simple Harmonic Motion (SHM)?

Simple Harmonic Motion is a type of periodic motion in which the restoring force is directly proportional to the displacement from equilibrium and acts in the opposite direction to the displacement.

How do you find the amplitude of an object in SHM?

The amplitude of an object in SHM is the maximum displacement from equilibrium. It can be found by measuring the distance from the equilibrium position to the peak of the oscillation.

What is the formula for velocity in SHM?

The formula for velocity in SHM is v = ωAcos(ωt), where ω is the angular frequency and A is the amplitude of the motion.

How do you calculate acceleration in SHM?

The acceleration in SHM is given by the formula a = -ω²x, where ω is the angular frequency and x is the displacement from equilibrium.

What are some real-life examples of SHM?

Some common examples of SHM include the motion of a pendulum, the oscillation of a spring, the movement of a mass attached to a spring, and the vibration of a guitar string.