Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Shock absorption properties better from casting or forging?

1. Jun 14, 2015 #1
    Hi
    I want to ask which of the cast steels or forged steels provide with better shock absorption?
    The component has to be used in the under chassis of heavy trucks in bumpy roads.
    Can anyone help me with that?

Thank You

Last edited: Jun 14, 2015
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 14, 2015 #2
  4. Jun 14, 2015 #3
    Thank You for your reply. But I am not looking for steel wheels
    I am looking for a steel bar that has to be used under the chassis of heavy vehicles.

5. Jun 15, 2015 #4

Lok

Hi Ayush,

Your question is quite general in nature and a detailing your setup will help answers.
    Shock absorption means you hit the material at one end and the shock wave gets strongly dissipated and absorbed to the point that it dies out in a long enough slab.
    Steels, cast or forged are not in general very good at "shock absorption", as they do not dissipate a shock wave too much.
    The main reason some types of cast iron were and still are used in chassis construction is it's ability to absorb shocks by their granular carbon inclusions.
    This is why I would ask if your steel part needs to absorb shocks or just withstand them?

If you have to choose between casting or forging, casting will leave less internal strains while forging has a smaller chance of defects, yet both methods can yield similar results after proper machining and heat treatment.

For a starting reference google a DIN EN 10025-2 table. E295 (aka. 1.0050) is used for axles, shafts and seems common and cheap.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook