Shooting a Block up an Incline

In summary: You could start with the work done by gravity on the mass (W=mg*a), and then use the second law of motion to find the velocity. In summary, the mass slides down an incline a total distance L after exiting the gun. The force of gravity is responsible for the work done on the mass, and the mass has an initial velocity.
MAPgirl23
A block of mass m is placed in a smooth-bored spring gun at the bottom of the incline so that it compresses the spring by an amount x_c. The spring has spring constant k. The incline makes an angle theta with the horizontal and the coefficient of kinetic friction between the block and the incline is mu. The block is released, exits the muzzle of the gun, and slides up an incline a total distance L.

Find L, the distance traveled along the incline by the block after it exits the gun. Ignore friction when the block is inside the gun. Also, assume that the uncompressed spring is just at the top of the gun (i.e., the block moves a distance x_c while inside of the gun). Use g for the magnitude of acceleration due to gravity.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

mg = -Force of gravity*sin(theta)= -mgsin(theta)
a = -gsin(theta) where it slides down
height = (x_c+L)sin(theta)
F = 0.5*k*x^2

but how do I find L?

Physics news on Phys.org
I believe you left out the effect of the kinetic friction. On a problem like this it's probably best to start from the basics - draw a free body diagram, label the forces, write F=ma in the coordinate directions, and solve from there.

mg = -Force of gravity*sin(theta)-mu_k= -mgsin(theta)-mu_k

If I understand the problem correctly, the mass enters the incline with an initial velocity, so you'll need the full equation of motion. So, I would think of this as 2 separate problems. The first, to find out the velocity of the mass as it exits the gun (i.e. enters the incline). The second problem is a mass sliding up an incline with an initial velocity subject to friction and gravity. By the way, if mu_k is the coefficient of friction, it need to be multiplied by a normal force N to be a valid force.

The first problem could be tricky. My guess is that using energy equations is probably the must fruitful approach.

Related to Shooting a Block up an Incline

1. How does the angle of incline affect the trajectory of a block when it is shot up an incline?

The angle of incline plays a crucial role in determining the trajectory of a block when it is shot up an incline. As the angle increases, the block will travel a shorter distance but at a higher speed. Conversely, a lower angle will result in the block traveling a longer distance but at a slower speed.

2. What factors contribute to the force needed to shoot a block up an incline?

The force needed to shoot a block up an incline is influenced by several factors, including the mass of the block, the angle of incline, and the friction between the block and the incline. The steeper the incline and the heavier the block, the more force will be required to propel it upwards.

3. Can the height of the incline affect the distance the block will travel?

Yes, the height of the incline can impact the distance a block will travel when shot up an incline. A higher incline will result in the block reaching a greater height and traveling a shorter distance, while a lower incline will result in a longer distance traveled but a lower height reached.

4. How does the surface of the incline affect the motion of the block?

The surface of the incline can affect the motion of the block in several ways. A smoother surface will result in less friction and allow the block to travel a greater distance. A rougher surface will increase friction and slow down the block's motion. Additionally, a surface with an uneven or curved shape may cause the block to deviate from its intended path.

5. Is there a limit to how steep an incline can be for a block to be shot up it?

Yes, there is a limit to how steep an incline can be for a block to be shot up it. This is because as the angle of incline approaches 90 degrees, the force required to overcome gravity becomes infinite. Therefore, the incline cannot be completely vertical for a block to be shot up it.