Short, Easy, Lenz's Law Question

In summary, the direction of the magnetic field is into the page, as determined by the right hand rule and the motion of the copper bar to the right, causing a force on the positive charges in the rod.
Sheneron

Homework Statement

A copper bar is moved to the right while its axis is maintained in a direction perpendicular to a magnetic field as shown in Figure P31.28d (image d, bottom right). If the top of the bar becomes positive relative to the bottom, what is the direction of the magnetic field?

http://img370.imageshack.us/img370/5013/p3126jg2.th.gif By lenz's law if the induced current should be opposing the change in magnetic flux. So if the magnetic flux is decreasing the induced current should be in such a way that the induced magnetic field is in the same direction as the magnetic field. And if the flux is increasing the induced magnetic field should be opposite the magnetic field. So in this problem I can't figure out how we are supposed to know whether the magnetic flux is increasing or decreasing.

Not only that I thought that since the magnetic fields should oppose or contribute with each other then since the bar magnet has a magnetic field downward the answer would be either downward or upward. But neither of those is right. Any help please?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Sheneron,

Sheneron said:

Homework Statement

A copper bar is moved to the right while its axis is maintained in a direction perpendicular to a magnetic field as shown in Figure P31.28d (image d, bottom right). If the top of the bar becomes positive relative to the bottom, what is the direction of the magnetic field?

http://img370.imageshack.us/img370/5013/p3126jg2.th.gif

By lenz's law if the induced current should be opposing the change in magnetic flux. So if the magnetic flux is decreasing the induced current should be in such a way that the induced magnetic field is in the same direction as the magnetic field. And if the flux is increasing the induced magnetic field should be opposite the magnetic field. So in this problem I can't figure out how we are supposed to know whether the magnetic flux is increasing or decreasing.

Not only that I thought that since the magnetic fields should oppose or contribute with each other then since the bar magnet has a magnetic field downward the answer would be either downward or upward. But neither of those is right. Any help please?

Which way are the positive charges in the rod moving due to the motion of the rod? Which way is the force on those positive charges? Once you answer those two questions you should be able to find the direction of the magnetic field. What do you get?

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh crap, not really sure what I was thinking, but I am still not sure of the answer. The rod is moving to the right, and as it does the positive charges feel a force upward since the positive charges accumulate at the top.

So by right hand rule, if I point towards the velocity and curl my fingers into the page, the force is upwards. So the magnetic field is into the page?

Sheneron said:
Oh crap, not really sure what I was thinking, but I am still not sure of the answer. The rod is moving to the right, and as it does the positive charges feel a force upward since the positive charges accumulate at the top.

So by right hand rule, if I point towards the velocity and curl my fingers into the page, the force is upwards. So the magnetic field is into the page?

That sounds right to me.

Thanks for the help

Sure, glad to help!

What is Lenz's Law?

Lenz's Law is a physics principle that states when an electric current is induced in a conductor, it creates a magnetic field that opposes the change in the magnetic field that caused it.

What is a "Short, Easy, Lenz's Law Question"?

A "Short, Easy, Lenz's Law Question" is a simplified question that pertains to the concept of Lenz's Law, usually used as a learning tool or to test understanding of the principle.

Can you give an example of Lenz's Law in action?

Yes, an example of Lenz's Law in action is when a magnet is dropped through a copper pipe. As the magnet falls, it creates a changing magnetic field in the pipe, which causes an electric current to be induced in the pipe that produces a magnetic field in the opposite direction. This opposing magnetic field slows down the magnet's fall, demonstrating Lenz's Law.

What is the significance of Lenz's Law?

The significance of Lenz's Law is that it helps us understand and predict the behavior of electromagnetic induction, which is key in understanding and developing technologies such as transformers, generators, and motors.

How is Lenz's Law related to Faraday's Law?

Lenz's Law is a direct consequence of Faraday's Law of electromagnetic induction. Faraday's Law states that a changing magnetic field will induce an electric current in a conductor. Lenz's Law specifies the direction of this induced current, which is always in a way that opposes the change in the magnetic field that caused it.