Should I take up MSc or discontinue?

• Thread starter phoenix95
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Msc
In summary, if you want to discontinue your studies and take up entrance exams for MSc in better institutions, you should be aware of the competition and be prepared to apply to a few schools. Additionally, the government of India might offer scholarships to students wishing to study abroad.
phoenix95
Gold Member
Hi,
I have completed my 6th semester BSc exams on April-2015 and awaiting results. My idea was to discontinue for an year so that I can take up entrance exams for MSc in better institutions (I am interested in physics). But people around me say that it is a bad idea. I need suggestions. Is there a way to take up MSc abroad with scholarships (my total percentage till date is 83)?
And also can anyone tell me the details of GATE exams?
Also if were to discontinue, are there any fellowships that I can take up?
I really need your advice.

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
phoenix95 said:
My idea was to discontinue for an year so that I can take up entrance exams for MSc in better institutions (I am interested in physics).

When you say you want to take up entrance exams for MSc in better institutions, do you means institutions in India or abroad?

phoenix95 said:
But people around me say that it is a bad idea. I need suggestions.

Why would people say it's a bad idea?

phoenix95 said:
Is there a way to take up MSc abroad with scholarships (my total percentage till date is 83)?

Sure, you can. 83% is a really good score, depending on where you are enrolled. But, you must understand the competition is very stiff, and you would be well advised to apply to a number of schools that fall into either one of top-tier, mid-tier and low-tier to salvage at least a couple of offers in case you don't get into your dream school. Scholarships usually come in the form of TA'ships and RA'ships, but you might be interested to look into other forms of scholarships on offer.

Likes phoenix95
Hi failexam,
I want to take up entrance exam for institutions in India.
If I were to enroll to MSc abroad, what are the exams I have to write?
Also can help me by mentioning few such scholarships to which I can apply?

Thank you very much.

If you want to apply to universities in North America, for instance, you would have to sit for the GRE General and the Physics GRE exams.

The GRE General tests your verbal and basic maths skills, while the Physics GRE tests your knowledge of the first 2-3 years of your undergraduate physics courses. Having said that, different universities have different requirements - some universities may not require the Physics GRE test, for instance. Therefore, it's important to pick your chosen field of study within Physics, find a few graduate schools with strong research group pertaining to your chosen field, and then to check their requirements.

As for scholarships, the government of India might offer scholarships to students wishing to study abroad. You might want to check on the internet for such scholarships that you might be eligible for and the corresponding application criteria. Also, the universities you apply to should have a webpage devoted to financial aid solutions, where they might cite various other sources of funding you might be eligible for.

Likes phoenix95
Ok, thanks a lot :smile:

1. Should I take up an MSc program or discontinue my studies?

This is a common question among students who are unsure about their academic path. Ultimately, the decision should be based on your personal goals, interests, and career aspirations. If you are passionate about a specific field and see yourself pursuing a career in that area, then an MSc program may be the right choice for you. However, if you have lost interest in your current field of study or have other priorities, discontinuing your studies may be a better option.

2. What are the benefits of pursuing an MSc degree?

There are several benefits to pursuing an MSc degree, including gaining advanced knowledge and skills in your field of study, increasing your career opportunities and earning potential, and developing critical thinking and problem-solving skills. Additionally, an MSc degree can open up doors for further education, such as a PhD program.

3. Will an MSc degree guarantee me a job?

While having an MSc degree can make you a more competitive job candidate, it does not guarantee you a job. Employers also consider factors such as experience, skills, and personal qualities when making hiring decisions. However, an MSc degree can give you an advantage in the job market and make you a more attractive candidate for certain positions.

4. Can I switch fields for my MSc program?

Yes, you can switch fields for your MSc program, but it may require additional coursework or prerequisites. It is important to research the requirements for the specific program you are interested in and speak with an advisor to determine the best path for you. Keep in mind that switching fields may also delay your graduation timeline.

5. Is it possible to work while pursuing an MSc degree?

Yes, it is possible to work while pursuing an MSc degree, but it can be challenging. It is important to carefully consider your workload and time management skills before taking on a job while in an MSc program. It may be helpful to discuss your options with an advisor or mentor to determine the best plan for balancing work and studies.