1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Should the average undergrad be able to solve most of Griffiths' QM problems?

1. Dec 7, 2012 #1
    I am a third year physics major and am studying quantum mechanics using Griffiths' textbook.

I can do most of the problems with one star or no stars with relatively little effort, but a lot of the problems with three stars I find very difficult and I cannot do them at all.

For the average undergraduate physics major taking quantum mechanics, should I be able to solve all of Griffiths question? Am I doing bad if I can't solve a lot of his three star problems?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 7, 2012 #2
    That is perfectly normal. Typically professors will give hints on 3-star problems or students will discuss them with others and/or a teaching assistant. After obtaining some necessary "trick" through these discussions, the problems become much simpler, generally. Students that solve all of those problems by themselves at your stage are exceptional.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook