Should Toluene be clear or cloudy white?

• Thread starter n0_3sc
  • Start date
In summary: However, because toluene is a liquid and because plastics are often made of a number of different materials, it can be difficult to find a plastic that it will not dissolve. In summary, the bottle was not dry, there was some contamination, and distilled water can be a contaminant.
n0_3sc
I have very little background in chemistry.
A clear sample of toluene was poured into a non sealed bottle and after several hours it turned cloudy white.
Is this normal?
Why does this happen?
It is still a clean solution of toluene right?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
It shouldn't, there is some contamination. Was the bottle dry?

Or the bottle was not dry (or contained something that mixed with toluene) or the liquid has absorbed humidity from air.

Hey,

The bottle was rinsed out with distilled water but not thoroughly dried. It sits in a near dust-free environment where temperature and humidity are controlled. The bottle had no previous chemical substance in it. Not for >3 years that I know off.

n0_3sc said:
Hey,

The bottle was rinsed out with distilled water but not thoroughly dried. It sits in a near dust-free environment where temperature and humidity are controlled. The bottle had no previous chemical substance in it. Not for >3 years that I know off.

So it could be the little amount of water still present in the bottle after rinsing out.

really?? distilled water can be a contaminant?

Yes, water can be a contaminant. Given that toluene's solubility in water is quite minimal, even a tiny bit of water can serve as a contaminant. Many organic solvents - including toluene - are typically sold as "dry" solvents (water-free or nearly so), since even a small amount can screw up someone's work.

n0_3sc said:
really?? distilled water can be a contaminant?

Let's see - is water a chemical?

I'm not quite certain if water and toluene would mix to form a suspension you might want to observe a mixture without stirring it ; should find two immiscible phases. From my experience a small amount of water in certain organic substances forms a cloudy suspension with stirring ; at times at 2% however it should be higher for toluene. Surfactants can cause reverse miscelle formation with water and toluene also.

I think I found the cause of the problem (along with water). The toluene was sandwiched between two transparent pieces of plastic. Apparently you can't place these chemicals on plastic due to some effect? The plastic turned all opaque and "cloudy white".

Toluene is a pretty good solvent, it will penetrate many plastics and it will dissolve them to some extent.

1. What is Toluene?

Toluene is a colorless, clear liquid with a distinct smell commonly used as a solvent in various industries such as paint, coatings, and adhesives.

2. Why is Toluene sometimes cloudy white?

Toluene can appear cloudy white if it has been exposed to air or moisture for a prolonged period of time. This can cause the liquid to absorb moisture, resulting in the formation of small droplets that make it appear cloudy.

3. Is Toluene supposed to be clear or cloudy white?

Toluene is typically supposed to be clear and colorless. However, if it has been exposed to certain conditions, such as air or moisture, it can become cloudy white. In these cases, the toluene may still be usable, but it is important to check for any changes in its properties before using it in any applications.

4. Can Toluene be harmful if it is cloudy white?

Toluene can be harmful if it is cloudy white, as this could be an indication of contamination. Inhaling or ingesting contaminated toluene can lead to health issues such as irritation of the respiratory system, dizziness, and headaches. It is important to properly dispose of any cloudy white toluene and obtain a fresh, clear sample for use.

5. How can I prevent Toluene from becoming cloudy white?

Toluene can become cloudy white if it is exposed to air or moisture. To prevent this, it is important to store toluene in a tightly sealed container and avoid exposing it to any sources of moisture. It is also important to use toluene in a well-ventilated area to prevent the buildup of any moisture in the air that could potentially contaminate the liquid.