Show functions of this form are a vector space etc

In summary: I don't remember the name for the concept of having multiple functions that all have the same form, so I'm just calling it a vector.
BustedBreaks
Show that the functions [tex](c_{1}+c_{2}sin^{2}x+c_{3}cos^2{x})[/tex] form a vector space. Find a basis of it. What is its dimension?

My answer is that it's a vector space because:

[tex](c_{1}+c_{2}sin^{2}x+c_{3}cos^2{x})+(c'_{1}+c'_{2}sin^{2}x+c'_{3}cos^2{x})
=(c_{1}+c'_{1}+(c_{2}+c'_{2})sin^{2}x+(c_{3}+c'_{3})cos^2{x})[/tex] which is a function in the same form as the original function.

Basically all combinations of sums of multiples create functions of the same form as the original function. It's dimension is two because it's of one variable, x.

However, I not sure about the basis. I want to say it's just the original function, but I don't know why. I'm a little rusty when it comes to basis stuff.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What you seem to be showing is that the set of functions {1, sin2x, cos2x} is a subspace of some function space. If you really need to show that this set of functions is a vector space (function space), you need to verify all 10 axioms.

I don't understand your reason for saying that the dimension of this subspace/function space is 2 -
BustedBreaks said:
It's dimension is two because it's of one variable, x.
How does it follow that the dimension is 2?

Well to be honest I have forgotten a lot of this stuff.

I'm looking at the function [tex]
(c_{1}+c_{2}sin^{2}x+c_{3}cos^2{x})
[/tex] with c1, c2, and c3, as distinct constants and that all functions of this form can be combined to create another function this form. This seems to be the wrong way to think about it?

As for the dimension. I just figured that its a function of just x so any choices of c1, c2, c3 constant, will give a graph in two dimensions

Yeah, I think that's the wrong approach. You're not dealing with one function c1 + c2sin2x + c3cos2x, you're dealing with three separate functions {1, sin2x, cos2x}.

Regarding the dimension, by your reasoning {sin2x} would also have dimension 2, which is not true.

Mark44 said:
Yeah, I think that's the wrong approach. You're not dealing with one function c1 + c2sin2x + c3cos2x, you're dealing with three separate functions {1, sin2x, cos2x}.

Regarding the dimension, by your reasoning {sin2x} would also have dimension 2, which is not true.

I see what you mean by the difference in functions, however I feel like they would have written it the way you did, {1, sin2x, cos2x}, if that's what they meant? They way I see it, the function in the question represents all functions of that form which is why they have function plural.However, I'm not sure what you mean by sin^2(x) isn't in two dimensions? If you plot this it has a y direction and an x direction. This is probably the wrong way to think about as well.

You should be thinking about these things as vectors, not as functions. The vectors <1,0,1>, <0,1,0>, and <1,1,1> form a subspace of R3. Every vector in this subspace can be represented as c1<1,0,1> + c2<0,1,0> + c3<1,1,1> for some constants c1, c2, and c3.
The fact that each of these vectors is a vector the 3-space has very little to do with anything. In the same way, the fact that the graph of y = sin2x is a graph in the plane also has very little to do with anything as far as this problem is concerned.

It could be proved that the vectors in my example here are a vector space, by verifying that all 10 axioms are satisfied. One could also find the dimension of this vector space, and find a basis for it. The problem I came up with is very similar to yours.

1. What is a vector space?

A vector space is a mathematical structure that consists of a set of vectors along with operations of addition and scalar multiplication. These operations must satisfy certain axioms, such as closure, associativity, and distributivity, in order for the set to be considered a vector space.

2. How do you show that a set of functions is a vector space?

In order to show that a set of functions is a vector space, you must demonstrate that it satisfies the properties of a vector space. This includes showing that the set is closed under addition and scalar multiplication, and that it contains a zero vector and additive inverses for each element.

3. What are the benefits of representing functions as a vector space?

Representing functions as a vector space allows for a more efficient and organized way of studying and manipulating them. It also allows for the use of techniques and tools from linear algebra, making it easier to solve problems and prove properties of the functions.

4. Can all types of functions be represented as a vector space?

No, not all types of functions can be represented as a vector space. For a set of functions to be considered a vector space, it must satisfy the axioms of a vector space. Functions that do not satisfy these axioms, such as discontinuous functions or functions with infinite dimensions, cannot be represented as a vector space.

5. What are some applications of vector spaces in the field of science?

Vector spaces have various applications in the field of science, including physics, engineering, and computer science. They are used to model physical systems, analyze data, and design algorithms for optimization problems. They are also used in machine learning and artificial intelligence to represent and manipulate data.