Show Fx,Fy when x>>a: 65 Character Title"Show Fx,Fy When x Much Greater Than a

• Thread starter baseballman
  • Start date
In summary: You've got an extra a in there somewhere. In summary, when x is much greater than a, the force generated by an electric field can be simplified to {F_x} = - \frac{{KQq}}{{{x^2}}} and {F_y} = \frac{{KQqa}}{{2{x^3}}}. To prove this, the series expansion of \frac{1}{{\sqrt {{x^2} + {a^2}} }} can be used and the terms that are negligible can be identified.
baseballman
Show that if x>>a...

Homework Statement

I've got the following force generated by an electric field

[tex]{F_x} = - KQq\frac{1}{{x\sqrt {{x^2} + {a^2}} }}[/tex]

[tex]{F_y} = \frac{{KQq}}{a}\left( {\frac{1}{x} - \frac{1}{{\sqrt {{x^2} + {a^2}} }}} \right)[/tex]

Homework Equations

I need to show that when x>>a:

[tex]{F_x} = - \frac{{KQq}}{{{x^2}}}[/tex]

[tex]{F_y} = \frac{{KQqa}}{{2{x^3}}}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I'm on the right track but I'm stuck here:

[tex]\frac{1}{{\sqrt {{x^2} + {a^2}} }} = \frac{1}{x}{\left( {1 + \frac{{{a^2}}}{{{x^2}}}} \right)^{ - \frac{1}{2}}}[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org

Have you heard of Taylor series? Why don't you try expanding the above term using taylor series and see which terms are negligible?

You are indeed on the right track. When x >> a, then [itex]\delta := \frac{a}{x}[/itex] is very small. So you can expand
[tex]x \sqrt{1 + a^2 / x^2} = x \sqrt{1 + \delta^2}[/tex] around [itex]\delta = 0[/itex].

Thanks for your responses anirudh215 and CompuChip, but I really don't know what you mean by "expand". If you could show some steps I might have a clue.

Do you know limits?

ehild

baseballman said:
Thanks for your responses anirudh215 and CompuChip, but I really don't know what you mean by "expand". If you could show some steps I might have a clue.

Certain functions can be "expanded" around points, i.e. if you have a function f, and it is "expandable", then you can equate the value of that function about a point in terms of its derivatives.

The square root function above is one such function which is expandable. The Taylor series would be something like

[tex]\sqrt{1 + x} = 1 + \frac{x}{2} - \frac{x^{2}}{4.2!} [/tex]...

You can read more about Taylor series here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taylor_series

Now, substitute [tex]\frac{a^{2}}{x^{2}}[/tex] as y, and expand similar to above. See what you can do from here. Note: the number of terms I have used in the expansion above is enough for you to complete the sum. Just look at what is and isn't negligible. I'm just doubtful whether you calculated Fy properly.

Last edited:

Related to Show Fx,Fy when x>>a: 65 Character Title"Show Fx,Fy When x Much Greater Than a

1. What is the meaning of "x much greater than a" in the title?

In this context, "x much greater than a" means that the value of x is significantly larger than the value of a. It is often used in mathematical equations to indicate that a certain condition or limit is being considered.

2. What does Fx,Fy represent in the title?

Fx,Fy is a mathematical notation used to represent the components of a vector in the x and y directions, respectively. In this case, it is referring to the force in the x and y directions when x is significantly larger than a.

3. What is the significance of using "Show" in the title?

The word "show" in this title indicates that the focus is on visually representing or demonstrating the values of Fx,Fy when x is much greater than a. It suggests that there will be a graphical representation or illustration of the concept.

4. Why is it important to consider x much greater than a?

When x is much larger than a, it can significantly affect the values of Fx,Fy. This is especially important in physics and engineering, where understanding the forces acting on a body is crucial for predicting its behavior and performance.

5. Can the concept of "Show Fx,Fy when x>>a" be applied in real-world situations?

Yes, this concept can be applied in various real-world scenarios. For example, in structural engineering, it can be used to analyze the forces acting on a building during an earthquake, where the ground motion can be considered much larger than the dimensions of the building. It can also be applied in fluid mechanics, where the velocity of a fluid can be significantly larger than the dimensions of the object it is flowing around.