Show that a homeomorphism preserves uniform continuity

In summary, we are given three metric spaces, (X,d1), (Y,d2), and (Z,d3), where Y is compact and g(y) is a continuous function that maps Y to Z with a continuous inverse. We are asked to show that if f(x) is a function that maps X to Y and h(x) maps X to Z such that h(x)=g(f(x)), and h is uniformly continuous, then f is also uniformly continuous. Using the fact that h is continuous and f is a continuous function with a compact range, we can show that h is uniformly continuous. Since g is a homeomorphism and f(x)=g^(-1)(h(x)), the uniform continuity of h implies the
Ratpigeon

Homework Statement

(X,d1),(Y,d2) and (Z,d3) are metric spaces, Y is compact,
g(y) is a continuous function that maps Y->Z with a continuous inverse
If f(x) is a function that maps X->Y, and h(x) maps X->Z such that h(x)=g(f(x))
Show that if h is uniformly continuous, f is uniformly continuous

Homework Equations

if h is continuous, f is continuous

The Attempt at a Solution

I proved that f is continuous when h is continuous.
I also know that g is a homeomorphism, which preserves pretty much everything.
and that f(x)=g^(-1)(h(x)) so I just need to show that the homeomorphism preserves the uniform continuity.

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you know about continuous functions with compact domain?

THey have a compact range. But I don't know that f's domain is compact, only that it's range is...

g has a compact domain.

I know Y is compact, and so g(Y) is compact.
h(X) c g(Y), so h is bounded. Also, because the range of f is compact, f is bounded.
I qualitatively know that uniform continuity means that the function is not allowed to get infinitely steep, and that a continuous, bounded function obviously can't be infinitely steep, therefore it should be uniformly continuous, but I'm not sure how to say it mathematically.

Can you show that a continuous function on a compact domain is uniform continuous?

Ooooh...
Thanks. I've got it now.

1. What is a homeomorphism?

A homeomorphism is a type of function that preserves the topological structure of a space. It is a bijective and continuous function with a continuous inverse.

2. How is continuity preserved by a homeomorphism?

A homeomorphism preserves continuity because it maps open sets to open sets, meaning that if a function is continuous in one space, its corresponding function in a homeomorphic space will also be continuous.

3. What is the difference between uniform continuity and continuity?

In uniform continuity, the size of the interval over which the function maintains its continuity does not depend on the point within the interval. In contrast, for continuity, the size of the interval can vary depending on the point within the interval.

4. How is uniform continuity preserved by a homeomorphism?

A homeomorphism preserves uniform continuity because it preserves the topological structure of the space, meaning that any uniform continuity properties of the original function will also be maintained in the homeomorphic function.

5. Can a homeomorphism fail to preserve uniform continuity?

No, a homeomorphism must preserve uniform continuity because it is a bijective and continuous function with a continuous inverse, meaning that it will always map open sets to open sets and maintain the uniform continuity properties of the original function.