Proving Real 2x2 Matrices are a Vector Space

In summary, the conversation discusses the proof that all 2x2 matrices with real entries form a vector space under matrix addition and scalar multiplication. The method to prove this is by testing arbitrary values and verifying all ten axioms. The conversation also mentions that this vector space is similar to a vector space with four-valued vectors, such as a single column matrix.
dmitriylm

Homework Statement

Show that all 2 x 2 matrices with real entries:

M(2x2) = {
a b | a,b,c,d are real numbers}
c d |

is a vector space under the matrix addition:

|a1 b1| + | a2 b2| = |a1+a2 b1+b2|
|c1 d1| + | c2 d2| = |c1+c2 d1+d2|

and scalar multiplication:

r*| a b | = | ra rb |
r*| c d | = | rc rd |

This vector space is "similar" to another vector space. Can you comment on this?

*Ignore any silver text, its only used for formatting.

How would I go about proving this?

Likes Sunusi
Physics news on Phys.org

I think I've actually got this figured out. I just test two 2x2 matrices of random values under the various axioms and if they pass then under matrix addition and scalar multiplication then it should show that all 2x2 matrices are a real vector space right?

What other kind of vector space is this similar to?

Likes Sunusi

dmitriylm said:
I think I've actually got this figured out. I just test two 2x2 matrices of random values under the various axioms and if they pass then under matrix addition and scalar multiplication then it should show that all 2x2 matrices are a real vector space right?

What other kind of vector space is this similar to?

By "random" values, I think you really mean arbitrary values - in other words, unspecified values. Yes, that's the right approach. You'll need to verify all ten of the axioms (or 11 or whatever).

Each 2 x 2 matrix has four entries. Can you think of another vector space whose vectors have four values? I think this is where the book is leading you.

Would that be a single column matrix like:

[a]

[c]
[d]

?

Yes, that's where I think they're leading you.

1. What is a vector space?

A vector space is a mathematical structure that consists of a set of objects called vectors, which can be added together and multiplied by numbers, called scalars. This structure follows a set of rules, known as axioms, that define the properties of vector addition and scalar multiplication.

2. How can we prove that 2x2 matrices are a vector space?

We can prove that 2x2 matrices are a vector space by showing that they satisfy all of the axioms of a vector space. These axioms include closure under addition and scalar multiplication, associativity, commutativity, existence of a zero vector, existence of additive inverses, and distributivity.

3. What is closure under addition in a vector space?

Closure under addition means that when we add two vectors from a vector space, the result is also a vector in that same space. In the case of 2x2 matrices, this means that when we add two 2x2 matrices together, the result is also a 2x2 matrix.

4. How do we show that 2x2 matrices have a zero vector?

To show that 2x2 matrices have a zero vector, we need to find a matrix that, when added to any other 2x2 matrix, gives the original matrix as the result. This matrix is the zero matrix, which is a matrix with all entries equal to zero.

5. Why is it important to prove that 2x2 matrices are a vector space?

Proving that 2x2 matrices are a vector space is important because it provides us with a framework to understand and manipulate these matrices. By knowing that they follow the rules of a vector space, we can use properties and theorems from linear algebra to solve problems and make calculations involving 2x2 matrices.