Show that n is either a prime or the product of two primes

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
19 replies · 5K views
Shackleford
Messages
1,649
Reaction score
2

Homework Statement



Assume that n > 1 is an integer such that p does not divide n for all primes ≤ n1/3. Show that n is either a prime or the product of two primes. (Hint: assume to the contrary that n contains at least three prime factors. Try to derive a contradiction.)

Homework Equations



Divisibility, etc.

The Attempt at a Solution



Assume that there exists three primes such that n = p1p2p3.

I suspect that you need to somehow show that there is a prime less than the cubic root that does divide n, but I'm not sure how to show it.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Shackleford said:

Homework Statement



Assume that n > 1 is an integer such that p does not divide n for all primes ≤ n1/3. Show that n is either a prime or the product of two primes. (Hint: assume to the contrary that n contains at least three prime factors. Try to derive a contradiction.)

Homework Equations



Divisibility, etc.

The Attempt at a Solution



Assume that there exists three primes such that n = p1p2p3.

I suspect that you need to somehow show that there is a prime less than the cubic root that does divide n, but I'm not sure how to show it.

It's difficult to give a hint without giving away the answer! That's a hint!
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: wabbit
wabbit said:
Well, if so then p1, p2, and p3 each divide n, so what do you conclude ?

Well, I thought that I had to show through some clever means that one of the factors is less than the cubic root.
 
Come on, think a little bit. Or rather, look - there's no clever trick, it's all here. Go back to the statement of the problem, what does it say ?
 
wabbit said:
Come on, think a little bit. Or rather, look - there's no clever trick, it's all here. Go back to the statement of the problem, what does it say ?

Okay. I assume that it's three distinct prime factors and not the actual cubic root for some integer, e.g. 53 = 125. In that case, it's obviously contradicted. However, I can see that it implies that at least one of the primes is less than the cubic root. If they were larger, then you wouldn't get n.
 
Shackleford said:
Okay. I assume that it's three distinct prime factors and not the actual cubic root for some integer, e.g. 53 = 125. In that case, it's obviously contradicted. However, I can see that it implies that at least one of the primes is less than the cubic root. If they were larger, then you wouldn't get n.

##125 = 5^3## is not a contradiction to what's proposed.
 
PeroK said:
##125 = 5^3## is not a contradiction to what's proposed.

To the condition that p does not divide n for all primes ≤ n1/3? If not, then that's why I assume that it's three distinct primes.
 
Shackleford said:
To the condition that p does not divide n for all primes ≤ n1/3? If not, then that's why I assume that it's three distinct primes.

For ##n = 125## the primes ##\le n^{1/3}## are ##2, 3## and ##5##. ##125## is divisible by one of these (##p =5##) so does not meet the criteria for ##n##.
 
It says that the prime numbers that divide n are necessarily above its cubic root.
 
PeroK said:
For ##n = 125## the primes ##\le n^{1/3}## are ##2, 3## and ##5##. ##125## is divisible by one of these (##p =5##) so does not meet the criteria for ##n##.

Ah, yes. That's right. I was going the wrong way.
 
geoffrey159 said:
It says that the prime numbers that divide n are necessarily above its cubic root.

So I was correct in post #6?
 
You must be tired and don't see it. As people said, there is very little room between the question and giving you the answer.
 
geoffrey159 said:
You must be tired and don't see it. As people said, there is very little room between the question and giving you the answer.

Well, that and I am multitasking at work, so I'll probably see it when I get home.
 
Shackleford said:
Well, that and I am multitasking at work, so I'll probably see it when I get home.
Now you know how efficient your multitasking is.
 
wabbit said:
Now you know how efficient your multitasking is.

And that I should probably stop going to bed after midnight.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: geoffrey159
Shackleford said:
And that I should probably stop going to bed after midnight.
Ah yes I should try that too some time :smile:
 
I must've read the problem too quickly. A product of three distinct primes would give you an integer larger than n because the primes that do divide n are larger than the cubic root. I sure hope that's right.
 
wabbit said:
Yes.

Thanks for the help and sorry for the brainfart. This is actually a four-week class, so it's moving right along.