Show that the wavefunction is normalized

• Thread starter Von Neumann
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wavefunction
The trick is to use the expression for \Theta_{20} given in the problem and simplify it using trigonometric identities. Then, you can use the definition of a normalized wavefunction to set up the integral and solve for the constant in front of \Theta_{20}. In summary, to show that \Theta_{20}=\frac{\sqrt{10}}{4}(3cos^{2}\theta-1) is a normalized solution to the given equation, we need to set up the integral \int^{\pi}_0\mid \Theta_{20}(\theta) \mid^{2}\sin\theta d\theta=1 and solve for the constant in front of \Theta_{20}. This can be done by
Von Neumann
Problem:

Show that

[itex]\Theta_{20}=\frac{\sqrt{10}}{4}(3cos^{2}\theta-1)[/itex]

is a normalized solution to

[itex]\frac{1}{sin\theta}\frac{d}{d\theta}(sin\theta \frac{d\Theta}{d\theta})+[l(l+1)-\frac{m_{l}^{2}}{sin^{2}\theta}]\Theta=0[/itex]

Solution:

I know how to show it's a solution, but I'm stuck on showing it's normalized.

I know that in general, a normalized wavefunction obeys,

[itex]\int^∞_{-∞}\mid \psi \mid^{2}dV=1[/itex]

So would this particular normalized angular wavefunction obey the following?

[itex]\int^{\pi}_0\mid \Theta_{20}(\theta) \mid^{2}\sin\theta d\theta=1[/itex]

I'm sorry if this is very elementary, but we just started doing this type of thing in my modern physics class. We haven't used any complex methods to solve these, so I don't think this problem will involve any advanced operators or anything of that sort. Any suggestions?

I just need help setting the integral up.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Von Neumann said:
So would this particular normalized angular wavefunction obey the following?

[itex]\int^{\pi}_0\mid \Theta_{20}(\theta) \mid^{2}\sin\theta d\theta=1[/itex]

Exactly.

1. What is a wavefunction?

A wavefunction is a mathematical function that describes the quantum state of a system. It contains all the information about the position, momentum, and energy of a particle.

2. What does it mean for a wavefunction to be normalized?

A normalized wavefunction is one that satisfies the condition of having a total probability of 1. This means that the probability of finding a particle in any possible location is equal to 1.

3. Why is it important to show that the wavefunction is normalized?

It is important to show that the wavefunction is normalized because it ensures that the probability of finding a particle in any possible location is valid and correctly calculated.

4. How do you show that the wavefunction is normalized?

To show that the wavefunction is normalized, we take the integral of the wavefunction squared over all space and set it equal to 1. If the integral evaluates to 1, then the wavefunction is normalized.

5. Are all wavefunctions normalized?

No, not all wavefunctions are normalized. Some may have a total probability greater than 1, in which case they need to be normalized by dividing by the square root of the total probability. Others may have a total probability less than 1, in which case they are not valid wavefunctions.