Show that u'(t) = r(t).(r'(t)Xr'''(t))

• Thread starter michonamona
  • Start date
In summary: Xr"), differentiating both sides, use these two formulas: (a.b)'=a'.b + a.b' (aXb)'=a'Xb + aXb'u=r.(r'Xr"), differentiating both sides, use these two formulas: (
michonamona

Homework Statement

Let u(t) be a vector valued function, where

u(t) = r(t).(r'(t)Xr''(t))

where r(t) is a vector valued function, and (r'(t)Xr''(t)) the cross product of the first and second derivative of r(t). Show that

u'(t) = r(t).(r'(t)Xr'''(t))

where r'''(t) is the 3rd derivative of r(t).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I got this question on an exam and did not know how to solve it. I started out by computing the cross product of (r'(t)Xr''(t)) by using determinants, and then took the dot product of r(t).(r'(t)Xr''(t)), which gave me a really ugly vector. I ran out of time while computing r(t).(r'(t)Xr'''(t)). Is there some other technique I could've applied to prove this?

Thanks,
M

Physics news on Phys.org
u(t) is a scalar, not vector-valued. You can see that many terms in the derivative of u cancel or vanish by using the identities

[tex]\vec{a}\times \vec{b} = - \vec{b} \times {a}[/tex]

[tex] \vec{a}\cdot (\vec{b}\times \vec{c}) = \vec{c} \cdot( \vec{a}\times{b}).[/tex]

I'm using ' for derivative & without t in parantheses.:--

u=r.(r'Xr"), differentiating both sides, use these two formulas: (a.b)'=a'.b + a.b'
(aXb)'=a'Xb + aXb'

u' = r'.(r'Xr") + r.(r'Xr")'
= 0 + r.(r"Xr" + r'Xr''') = r(r'Xr''') since a.(aXb )= 0 and aXa = 0
proved

let [tex]r=a\vec{i}+b\vec{j}+c\vec{k}[/tex]

[tex]
\begin{bmatrix}
a'b'c''\ -a'b''c'\ +b'c'a''\ -b'c''a'\ +c'a'b''\ -c'a''b' \\
ab''c''\ -ab'''c'\ +bc''a''\ -bc'''a'\ +ca''b''\ -ca'''b' \\
ab'c'''\ -ab''c''\ +bc'a'''\ -bc''a''\ +ca'b'''\ -ca''b''
\end{bmatrix}
\\
[/tex]
It's not a matrix, you should read it as one line addition.yep, it' spretty ugly if you're under stress and hurry.

Row 1 completely disappear 1with 4, 2-5, 3-6
Then
r2c1 with r3c2
r2c3 with r3c4
r2c5 with r3c6

Remain 6 terms, the other equation.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. I understand it now. I should have studied the properties of cross product more closely.

M

1. What does the equation "u'(t) = r(t).(r'(t)Xr'''(t))" represent?

The equation represents the derivative of the vector function u(t) using the cross product of the first, second, and third derivatives of the vector function r(t).

2. How is the cross product used in this equation?

The cross product is used to find the derivative of the vector function by taking the product of the first, second, and third derivatives of the vector function and then taking the dot product with the vector function itself.

3. What is the significance of the derivative of a vector function?

The derivative of a vector function represents the rate of change of the vector at any given point along its curve. It provides information about the direction and magnitude of the vector's change.

4. What is the relationship between u(t) and r(t) in this equation?

The vector function u(t) is dependent on the vector function r(t) as it uses the cross product of r(t) and its derivatives to find its derivative.

5. How is this equation used in real-world applications?

This equation is commonly used in physics and engineering to find the velocity and acceleration of objects in motion, as well as in fields such as computer graphics to calculate the direction and speed of movement for animations.