Showing elements in an extension field Z[sqrt(-5)] have gcd = 1

In summary, we can prove that the elements 3 and 2+\sqrt{-5} in \textbf{Z}[\sqrt{-5}] have a greatest common divisor of 1 by showing that they are both irreducible. We can also show that the ideal I = (3, 2+\sqrt{-5}) is not the total ring by assuming the existence of a,b\in \mathbb{Z}{\sqrt{-5}} and reaching a contradiction. Therefore, the ideal is not principal.
tomelwood

Homework Statement

Show that the elements 3 and 2+[tex]\sqrt{-5}[/tex] in [tex]\textbf{Z}[/tex][[tex]\sqrt{-5}[/tex]] have a greatest common divisor of 1, but the ideal I = (3, 2+[tex]\sqrt{-5}[/tex]) is not the total. Conclude that I is not principle.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have got as far as attempting to show the first part. If I show that both 3 and 2+[tex]\sqrt{-5}[/tex] are both irreducible in [tex]\textbf{Z}[/tex][[tex]\sqrt{-5}[/tex]] then they are relatively prime and hence have gcd of 1?
Also, the norms of both the numbers are 9, so does this do anything at all?
The way I have argued that both 3 and 2+[tex]\sqrt{-5}[/tex] are irreducible is:
Let 3=ab with a and b in [tex]\textbf{Z}[/tex][[tex]\sqrt{-5}[/tex]].
Now |a|[tex]^{2}[/tex]*|b|[tex]^{2}[/tex]=9 which has only 1,3,9 as positive factors.
If |a|[tex]^{2}[/tex]=3 then a=x+y[tex]\sqrt{-5}[/tex] with x,y satisfying x[tex]^{2}[/tex]+5y[tex]^{2}[/tex]=3.
There are no such integers, so |a|[tex]^{2}[/tex]=/=3.
So either |a|=1 or |b| = 1. so either a or b is a unit, so 3 is irreducible.
Exactly the same for 2+[tex]\sqrt{-5}[/tex] since 4+5=9, then argue the same way.

But I don't really know what to do from here,
And how do I argue that the Ideal is not the total?

As for the last statement, is it true that if an ideal of two coprime numbers is not the whole ring, then the ideal is not principal?

Many thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
To prove that the ideal is not the total ring. Proceed by contradiction: assume that there exists [tex]a,b\in \mathbb{Z}{\sqrt{-5}}[/tex] such that

[tex]1=a.3+b.(2+\sqrt{-5})[/tex]

Now try to reach a contradiction...

OK.
So letting [tex]a=x+y\sqrt{-5}[/tex] and [tex]b=u+v\sqrt{-5}, x,y,u,v\in \textbf{Z}[/tex]
we can multiply out your expression to give
[tex]1=3x+3y\sqrt{-5}+2u+u\sqrt{-5}+2v\sqrt{-5}-5v[/tex]
Which can then be rearranged to give
[tex]x=\frac{(\sqrt{-5}(3y+u+2v)-1)}{3}[/tex]
which means that x is something multiplied by the square root of minus 5, so cannot be an integer, as assumed.
I presume similar arguments can be made for y,u,v, meaning that we have our required contradiction?

So the definition of an ideal being the total ring is that multiplying the elements of the ideal by arbitrary elements of the ring gives 1?
Why is this?
Also, does my argument show that the greatest common divisor is 1? As I have shown (have I?) that they are both irreducible and so are both prime. And two prime numbers have gcd 1.

And then to finish off, I can just say that since an ideal of two elements with gcd 1 is not the whole ring, then the ideal is not principal? Is this true? Or do I need to prove something else in the meantime? If so, what?

Many thanks.

Tom! To prove that the gcd([tex]2+\sqrt{-5}[/tex])=1 you can use this:
divisors(3)=+-1,+-3. So you only have to try if those numbers divide [tex]2+\sqrt{-5}[/tex].
Of course, the don't. Therefore gcd=1.

1. What is an extension field?

An extension field is a field that contains all elements of a base field and at least one additional element. In this case, the base field is Z (the set of integers) and the additional element is sqrt(-5).

2. What does it mean for elements in an extension field to have gcd = 1?

If two elements in an extension field have a greatest common divisor (gcd) of 1, it means that they are relatively prime. This means that they do not share any common factors other than 1.

3. Why is it important for elements in an extension field to have gcd = 1?

Having elements with gcd = 1 in an extension field is important because it allows for unique factorization. This means that every element in the field can be expressed as a product of irreducible elements, which is a crucial property in mathematics.

4. How can I show that elements in an extension field Z[sqrt(-5)] have gcd = 1?

To show that elements in Z[sqrt(-5)] have gcd = 1, you can use the Euclidean algorithm. This algorithm allows you to find the gcd of two elements by repeatedly dividing one element by the other until the remainder is 0. If the final remainder is 1, then the two elements are relatively prime and have a gcd of 1.

5. Are elements with gcd = 1 unique in an extension field?

No, elements with gcd = 1 are not necessarily unique in an extension field. For example, in Z[sqrt(-5)], both 2 and 3 have a gcd of 1 with sqrt(-5). However, the set of all elements with gcd = 1 is unique and has important properties, as mentioned earlier.