Exploring Resonant Frequency and Phase Shift in PEC Cylinders

In summary, when the wavelength corresponding to the central frequency is twice the length of the wire, resonance is observed. The current phase is affected by resonance and is greater than 180 degrees.
fereshteh
So I have this PEC cylinder that I am illuminating with a plane wave. As we know it should resonate when lambda is twice the length of the cylinder.
My adviser suggested to examine the phase of surface current, but I do not understand how it is relevant. Maybe I didn't get it right...

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.
It helps to describe the experiment setup - do not assume everyone knows the same exact setup that your course uses.

Did you examine the relative phase of the current anyway?
To understand what the phase has to do with it, consider how the wave you are using interacts with the PEC: why would you expect resonance of any kind at all anyway?

You are right. I should try to describe it.
I have a plane wave, z-polarized, illuminating a thin PEC wire along z-direction.
I am doing a frequency sweep in such a way that the wavelength corresponding to central frequency is twice the length of the wire. So at that frequency we should see bigger RCS due to resonance. My adviser mentioned I should examine the phase of the surface current on PEC to show this resonance at this frequency but I do not understand how this is relevant.

I did examine it. At the resonance frequency it is 180 degrees.

fereshteh said:
At the resonance frequency it is 180 degrees.
OK. So clearly there is a relationship between the current phase and resonance.
(Did you check what happens to the current phase as you went off resonance?)
me said:
To understand what the phase has to do with it, consider how the wave you are using interacts with the PEC: why would you expect resonance of any kind at all anyway?

It just continues to increase!

What? Is it always greater than 180 degrees?
(That would be pi radiens - hint: useful to start thinking in radiens.)
Can you think of other resonant situations which behave like this?
What do you think happens at 2[itex]\pi[/itex]?

1. What is resonant frequency?

Resonant frequency is the frequency at which an object, system, or medium naturally vibrates or oscillates with the greatest amplitude when excited by an external force.

2. How is resonant frequency determined?

Resonant frequency is determined by the physical properties of an object or system, such as its mass, stiffness, and damping coefficient. It can also be calculated using the formula f0 = 1/2π√(k/m), where f0 is the resonant frequency, k is the spring constant, and m is the mass.

3. What factors can affect resonant frequency?

Resonant frequency can be affected by factors such as changes in the mass, stiffness, or damping of an object or system. Other external factors like temperature, pressure, and applied forces can also impact resonant frequency.

4. Why is resonant frequency important?

Resonant frequency is important because it can help engineers and scientists understand the natural behavior of objects and systems. It is also used in various applications, such as tuning musical instruments, designing structures to withstand vibrations, and detecting flaws in materials through resonance testing.

5. How can resonant frequency be demonstrated or shown?

Resonant frequency can be demonstrated or shown in various ways, such as using a tuning fork or a pendulum to observe oscillations at different frequencies. It can also be shown using instruments like an oscilloscope or a frequency analyzer to measure the amplitude and frequency of vibrations in a system.