Showing that a given propagator is proportional to Green's function

In summary, the KG propagator is a mathematical tool for describing the propagation of a particle through space and time, and its Fourier transform is used to describe the particle's motion in terms of momentum space. To apply this idea to the given problem, one would need to know the initial and final states of the particle and use the KG propagator to calculate its evolution between these points.
JD_PM
Homework Statement
Given

\begin{equation*}
\mathcal{L} = -\frac 1 4 F_{\mu \nu}F^{\mu \nu} + \frac{m^2}{2} A_{\mu}A^{\mu}
\end{equation*}

Where the strength tensor ##F_{\mu \nu}## is given by

\begin{equation*}
F_{\mu \nu} = \partial_{\nu}A_{\mu} - \partial_{\mu}A_{\nu}
\end{equation*}

The E.O.M., obtainable out of ##\mathcal{L}##, is given by

\begin{equation*}
\Box A^{\mu} - \partial^{\mu} (\partial_{\nu} A^{\nu}) + m^2 A^{\mu} = 0
\end{equation*}

The Feynman propagator for this field is given by

\begin{equation*}
\langle 0 |T\{A^{\mu}(x)A^{\nu}(y)\}|0\rangle = -i \int \frac{d^4 k}{(2\pi)^4} \exp\left( -ik \cdot (x-y)\right) \frac{\eta^{\mu \nu}-k^{\mu}k^{\nu}/m^2}{k^2-m^2+i\varepsilon}
\end{equation*}

Working in momentum-space, show that the propagator is proportional to Green's function for the equation of motion. In other words, find the Green’s function of the equation of motion and use this to determine the propagator (Hint: it is not the aim to calculate Green's function using the Feynman propagator, instead we want to think of it as taking the Fourier transform of the inverse of the equation of motion).
Relevant Equations
N/A
First off let me say I am a bit confused by this question.

Searching for some references I found the following related to the KG propagator, given by (P&S, chapter 2 pages 29, 30)

cldmcd.png

Then they Fourier-transformed the KG propagator

klnknko.png

Is this what is aimed with this exercise? If yes, could you please give me a hint on how to apply the idea to the given problem?Thank you :biggrin:

Physics news on Phys.org
The KG propagator is essentially a mathematical tool for describing the propagation of a particle through space and time. It is used to calculate how a particle evolves between two points in space-time. The Fourier transform of the KG propagator is used to describe how a particle moves from one point in space-time to another in terms of momentum space. In order to apply this idea to the given problem, you would need to know the initial and final states of the particle in question (i.e. the position and momentum at each point). Then, you can use the KG propagator to calculate the evolution of the particle's state between these two points. Finally, you can perform a Fourier transform of the KG propagator to obtain a description of the particle's motion in terms of momentum space.

1. What is a propagator in physics?

A propagator is a mathematical function that describes the probability amplitude of a particle moving from one point in space and time to another. It is commonly used in quantum mechanics to calculate the probability of a particle's position or momentum at a given time.

2. What is Green's function and how is it related to the propagator?

Green's function is a mathematical function used to solve differential equations. In physics, it is used to solve problems involving the propagation of waves or particles. The propagator is proportional to Green's function because it describes the probability amplitude of a particle moving from one point to another, which is similar to how Green's function describes the propagation of waves or particles.

3. How do you show that a given propagator is proportional to Green's function?

To show that a given propagator is proportional to Green's function, you need to use mathematical techniques such as Fourier transforms, contour integration, and residue calculus. These techniques allow you to manipulate the propagator in a way that it can be expressed in terms of Green's function.

4. What are some common examples of propagators and their corresponding Green's functions?

Some common examples of propagators and their corresponding Green's functions include the Feynman propagator and the Feynman propagator in position space, which are proportional to the Feynman Green's function and the free-space Green's function, respectively. Other examples include the Coulomb propagator and the Coulomb Green's function, and the harmonic oscillator propagator and the harmonic oscillator Green's function.

5. How is the concept of a propagator used in practical applications?

The concept of a propagator is used in various practical applications, such as in quantum field theory, quantum mechanics, and statistical mechanics. It is also used in computational physics to simulate the behavior of particles and waves. In addition, the propagator plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of physical systems, such as the propagation of light in optical fibers and the behavior of particles in particle accelerators.