1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Showing that a group isn't cyclic.

1. Aug 11, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Show that [tex]\left( \mathbb{Z}/32\mathbb{Z}\right)^{*}[/tex] is not a cyclic group.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

A little calculator magic has showed that all elements in the group have order 8, but that doesn't seem like a very educational solution :). If anyone could explain why all elements have the same order, it would be much appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 11, 2007 #2

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It cannot be that all of the elements have order 8 - the square of any element of order 8 has order 4. So, put the calculator away and think instead (or do it by hand).
    What is the order of Z/32Z*? Is there an element of that order?

4. Aug 11, 2007 #3
    The order of (Z/32Z)* (the multiplicative group of units) is phi(32)=16. So if I can show that all elements have order 8 or lower, I've shown that none of them can be generators. I guess my problem is that I don't see how to do this without resorting to a calculator.

I'm not sure what you mean by the square of any element of order 8 has order 4.

5. Aug 11, 2007 #4
    Think about it, if a has order 8 then a^8=1, what about a^2 though? a^8=(a^2)^4 which says that a^2 has order 4, but besides that an even simpler reason that not all elements have order 8 is that the identity certainly doesn't have order 8.

6. Aug 11, 2007 #5

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you don't see why the square of an element of order 8 has order 4, then you need to relearn your definitions of order.

There is a unique cyclic group of order 16. You can count all the elements of all orders. You can then simply show that this group you have to play with fails to have the right properties.

7. Aug 11, 2007 #6
    Ahh, I get it now. Thanks both of you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?