1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

SI Unit analysis

1. Jan 16, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

When an object falls through air, there is a drag force that depends on the product of the surface area, A (m2), and the square of the velocity, in (m/s). The equation is Fdrag = CAv2. The metric unit of force is the Newton, or (N). 1 N = 1 kg*m/s2. What are the units of the constant C?

and

Given the equation F =kA, where F is a force, k is a constant, and A is area, use unit analysis to determine the units of k.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Answer choices for the first:

m*s2/N

m*s2/N4

N*s2/m4

N*s/m2

Answer choices for the second:

N*m2, or kg*m3/s2

N/m2, or kg/(m*s2)

m2/N, or m*s2/kg

N*m, or kg*m2/s2

I'm just having trouble starting this class out, and I'm sure this stuff is simple but I'm being thrown off by the steps and my teacher is pretty disorganized but his explanations are confusing me. I would love information and steps on how to solve this.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 16, 2013 #2

CAF123

Gold Member

First step would be to rearrange each of your equations for the quantity you want the units for. What exactly is it you find difficult? Dimensional analysis is used so that the units on both sides of an eqn check out. (I.e think of it like 'you can only equate a vector with a vector'. Similarly, a force can only equal a force, etc.. so units on left = units on right)

4. Jan 16, 2013 #3

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Just rearrange the equation: F = CAv2; C = F/(Av2).
    Then substitute for F etc. using the units as though they were algebraic variables:
    C = (kg m s-2)/(m2 (m/s)2)
    and simplify.

5. Jan 16, 2013 #4
    Wow.. for some reason I was forgetting to rearrange the equation which is the first step.. lol sorry I was just over thinking it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook