SiC diode: History, Characteristics & Temperature Effects

In summary, SiC diodes, or silicon carbide diodes, were first invented in the 1950s but did not become commercially available until the 1990s due to challenges in manufacturing. They have a number of desirable characteristics, including high power capability, low forward voltage drop, and fast switching speeds. However, they are also susceptible to temperature effects, which can cause changes in their electrical properties and potential failure. To mitigate these effects, manufacturers have developed various packaging and cooling techniques to maintain stable performance at high temperatures. With ongoing advancements in technology, SiC diodes continue to be an important component in many high-power and high-frequency applications.
rottenmango
Hi all,

Can anyone brief some history and the Characteristics of SiC diode.
I having difficulties to find the infomation about the SiC material.
Beside that, how the Temparature related with the I-V curve (Eg: 200k, room temp,600k)
and different between the Si and SiC at room temp?

Thx.

Engineering news on Phys.org
rottenmango said:
Hi all,

Can anyone brief some history and the Characteristics of SiC diode.
I having difficulties to find the infomation about the SiC material.
Beside that, how the Temparature related with the I-V curve (Eg: 200k, room temp,600k)
and different between the Si and SiC at room temp?

Thx.

Welcome to the PF. Just googling SiC diode gives lots of hits:

http://www.google.com/search?source...ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4GGLL_enUS301US302&q=SiC+diode

Does the info in those hits not help?

The following article was decent:
http://www.cree.com/products/pdf/Power_Article_2.pdf
most of the articles were geared strictly towards advertisement, but I found a little discussion about the properties of the parts.

From what I gather, they are a true Schottky device, but the semiconductor isn't pure silicon. It's Silicon and carbon, just as SiGe is Silicon and germanium.

I've seen these devices used in compact, high-effeciency power factor correction circuits, which makes sense from the description, but I've never seen them used as output rectifiers. I think it's the combination of high voltage + great reverse recovery that makes them special. For low voltages, the ultrafast rectifiers begin to good recovery behavior, and then there's also Schottky's and platinum schottkys. Both are entrenched at low voltage and generally work great.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is SiC diode and its history?

SiC (Silicon Carbide) diode is a type of semiconductor device that is used for switching and rectifying electrical current. It is made of a combination of silicon and carbon, which gives it unique properties such as high thermal conductivity and wide bandgap. The first SiC diode was developed in the 1950s, but it was not until the 1980s that it became commercially available.

2. What are the characteristics of SiC diode?

SiC diodes have several important characteristics that make them desirable for various applications. They have a wide bandgap, which means they can handle higher voltages and temperatures compared to other diode types. They also have low reverse leakage current, high breakdown voltage, and fast switching speed. Additionally, SiC diodes have high thermal conductivity, which allows them to operate at high temperatures without failure.

3. What are the temperature effects on SiC diode?

The temperature has a significant effect on the performance of SiC diodes. At high temperatures, the reverse leakage current increases, which can result in lower efficiency and potential failure. The forward voltage drop also increases with temperature, which can affect the overall performance of the diode. However, SiC diodes have a higher temperature stability compared to other diode types, making them suitable for high-temperature applications.

4. What are the advantages of using SiC diode?

SiC diodes have several advantages over other diode types. They have a higher breakdown voltage, which allows them to handle higher voltages without failure. They also have a lower forward voltage drop, resulting in lower power losses. Additionally, SiC diodes have a higher thermal conductivity, which allows them to operate at higher temperatures without failure. They also have faster switching speeds, making them suitable for high-frequency applications.

5. What are the common applications of SiC diode?

SiC diodes are commonly used in high-power and high-temperature applications. They are often used in power supplies, inverters, and converters for industrial and automotive applications. SiC diodes are also used in renewable energy systems such as solar power and wind turbines. They are also used in high-frequency circuits, such as radio frequency amplifiers and high-speed switching circuits.