Proving \{0\} is an Element of Sigma Algebra Generated by A_n on \mathbb{R}

In summary, the sequence of sets A_n = [0, 1/n] is defined, and the set \mathcal{A}=\{A_n:n\in\mathbb{N}\} is also defined. The question is whether the singleton set {0} belongs to the sigma algebra \mathcal{F}=\sigma(\mathcal{A}). To answer this, we can use the definition of a limit and the property of sigma algebras being closed under complementation and countable unions. By considering the limit of the sequence of sets A_n, we can show that {0} is an element of \mathcal{F}, as it is contained in every A_n and hence in their intersection.
IniquiTrance

Homework Statement

Suppose [itex]\Omega = \mathbb{R}[/itex]. Let [itex]A_n = [0,\frac{1}{n}][/itex]. Let [itex]\mathcal{A}=\{A_n:n\in\mathbb{N}\}[/itex].

Is [itex]\{0\}[/itex] an element of [itex]\mathcal{F}=\sigma(\mathcal{A})[/itex]?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Clearly [itex]\lim_{n\rightarrow\infty} A_n = \{0\}[/itex]. Not sure how to show that it need be in [itex]\mathcal{F}[/itex] though.

Physics news on Phys.org
Think about the kinds of operations under which a sigma algebra is closed. Also, think about what you mean by the "limit" of the sequence of sets. What operation are you really performing to assert that the "limit" is {0}?

jbunniii said:
Think about the kinds of operations under which a sigma algebra is closed. Also, think about what you mean by the "limit" of the sequence of sets. What operation are you really performing to assert that the "limit" is {0}?

Hmm, I know we need countable additivity. Other than that, not quite sure how to proceed.

IniquiTrance said:
Hmm, I know we need countable additivity. Other than that, not quite sure how to proceed.

'Countable additivity' sounds like a property of a measure on a sigma algebra. What do you know about set theoretic properties of sigma algebras, things like complements, unions and intersections??

Hello!
My question will be somehow related to the topic.
I'm reading Kallenberg's Foundations now and at the very beginning I've found out that he didn't define limits before saying the following:
>> Note that any sigma-field is closed under monotone limits.
Sigma algebra A has been introduced as a non-empty subset of the set of all subsets of some set omega. The A was to be closed under certain set-theoretical operations as union, intersection and complement.
How am I to understand the limit?
My intuition (as this seems what I'm supposed to rely on) doesn't work. Could one work out the "meaning" of the limit from the information above? And, please, how?

IniquiTrance said:

Additivity (countable or otherwise) has nothing to do with it. You need closure under complementation and countable unions. From that you can deduce that the empty set and the whole space belong to the σ-algebra, and do countable intersections. Of course, "countable" includes "finite".

RGV

non-logical said:
Hello!
My question will be somehow related to the topic.
I'm reading Kallenberg's Foundations now and at the very beginning I've found out that he didn't define limits before saying the following:
>> Note that any sigma-field is closed under monotone limits.
Sigma algebra A has been introduced as a non-empty subset of the set of all subsets of some set omega. The A was to be closed under certain set-theoretical operations as union, intersection and complement.
How am I to understand the limit?
My intuition (as this seems what I'm supposed to rely on) doesn't work. Could one work out the "meaning" of the limit from the information above? And, please, how?

If [itex]A_1 \supset A_2 \supset A_3 \supset \ldots[/itex], then you can reasonably define the "limit" as the set of points that appear in every [itex]A_n[/itex], which is simply [itex]\cap_{n=1}^{\infty} A_n[/itex].

Similarly, if [itex]A_1 \subset A_2 \subset A_3 \subset \ldots[/itex], then you can define the "limit" as the set of points that appear in at least one [itex]A_n[/itex], in other words [itex]\cup_{n = 1}^{\infty} A_n[/itex].

This notion shows up, for example, in the monotone class theorem:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monotone_class_theorem

I don't like this nomenclature and prefer to call the intersection and the union what they are.

jbunniii said:
If [itex]A_1 \supset A_2 \supset A_3 \supset \ldots[/itex], then you can reasonably define the "limit" as the set of points that appear in every [itex]A_n[/itex], which is simply [itex]\cap_{n=1}^{\infty} A_n[/itex].

Similarly, if [itex]A_1 \subset A_2 \subset A_3 \subset \ldots[/itex], then you can define the "limit" as the set of points that appear in at least one [itex]A_n[/itex], in other words [itex]\cup_{n = 1}^{\infty} A_n[/itex].

I don't like this nomenclature and prefer to call the intersection and the union what they are.

Don't you need Cantor's intersection theorem for that?

IniquiTrance said:
Don't you need Cantor's intersection theorem for that?

For what? The intersection [itex]\cap_{n = 1}^\infty A_n[/itex] is well defined for any sets [itex]A_n[/itex]. Cantor's intersection theorem ensures that under certain conditions, the intersection is nonempty. But the empty set is a perfectly good set, contained in any sigma algebra.

jbunniii said:
For what? The intersection [itex]\cap_{n = 1}^\infty A_n[/itex] is well defined for any sets [itex]A_n[/itex]. Cantor's intersection theorem ensures that under certain conditions, the intersection is nonempty. But the empty set is a perfectly good set, contained in any sigma algebra.

Hmm, I'm just trying to make it rigorous... Why do we know that that intersection contains only {0}, when it could conceivably be,

* Empty
* Non-empty with an infinite amount of points

jbunniii said:

Thank you, jbunniii.
By the way, despite the definitions are reasonable in cases of [itex]A_1 \subset A_2 \subset A_3 \subset \ldots[/itex] and [itex]A_1 \supset A_2 \supset A_3 \supset \ldots[/itex], I think we can define the limits regardless to those conditions. That is for any countable set of sets we define both intersection and union limits. The limit can be then either null set or the whole Ω.

IniquiTrance said:
Hmm, I'm just trying to make it rigorous... Why do we know that that intersection contains only {0}, when it could conceivably be,

* Empty
* Non-empty with an infinite amount of points
That is true in general, but in this case you know exactly what the sets are: [itex]A_n = [0, 1/n][/itex]. Clearly, [itex]0 \in A_n[/itex] for all [itex]n[/itex], so the intersection contains 0. And for any positive number [itex]r[/itex], there is an [itex]N[/itex] such that [itex]1/N < r[/itex], so [itex]r \not\in A_N[/itex] and hence [itex]r \not\in \cap A_n[/itex]. So this establishes that [itex]\cap A_n = \{0\}[/itex].

Also note that since [itex]A_n \in \mathcal{A} \subset \mathcal{F}[/itex] for each [itex]n[/itex], and [itex]\mathcal{F}[/itex] is a sigma algebra, it follows that [itex]\cap A_n \in \mathcal{F}[/itex] regardless of whether the intersection is empty, or contains one point, or contains many points.

Last edited:
Thank you. I understand it much better now.

1. What is a Sigma Algebra element?

A Sigma Algebra element is a type of mathematical structure used in probability theory and measure theory. It is a collection of subsets of a given set that satisfies certain properties, which allow for the measurement of the size or probability of those subsets.

2. What are the properties of Sigma Algebra elements?

There are three main properties that a collection of subsets must satisfy to be considered a Sigma Algebra element. These properties are closure under complementation, closure under countable unions, and closure under countable intersections.

3. How are Sigma Algebra elements used in probability theory?

In probability theory, Sigma Algebra elements play a crucial role in defining measurable events and calculating probabilities. They allow for the creation of a probability space, where the sample space is the set of all possible outcomes and the Sigma Algebra element is used to define the measurable events within that sample space.

4. Can a Sigma Algebra element contain an uncountable number of subsets?

No, a Sigma Algebra element can only contain a countable number of subsets. This is because the properties of closure under countable unions and intersections only apply to a countable number of sets.

5. How are Sigma Algebra elements related to Borel sets?

Borel sets are a type of Sigma Algebra element that are used in topology and measure theory. They are created by taking the Sigma Algebra element generated by the open sets in a topological space. Borel sets have many important applications, including in the Lebesgue measure and probability distributions.