Why Does Changing Force Direction Affect Acceleration Calculations on a Wedge?

In summary: By the same token, the equation for ##\ddot x## should be ##\Sigma F_x=m\ddot x##. That will agree with your first equation for ##\ddot x##.Oh, ok.Very sorry, but because I engage in many threads at once I sometimes forget some crucial fact about a problem. In this case I forgot you had already explained θ is 45°. So now I agree with all your equations and can only apologise for all the noise.Moving on to your original question:since the block is moving downward , ##mg -N\cos \theta ## feels more natural and correctYou have defined y as positive upwards, so ##\
Buffu

Homework Statement

A 45 deg wedge is pushed along a table with a constant accelaration A. A block of mass m slides without friction on the wedge. Find its accelaration.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

path4207.png

##(x_b - x_w)\tan \theta = h -y_b##

##\ddot x_b + \ddot y_b = A##

Now equating forces horizontal and vertical forces on the block,

##N\cos \theta - mg = m \ddot y_b##

##N\sin\theta = m \ddot x_b##

Substituting these two in constraint equation,

##\sqrt{2}\times N = mg - mA##

##N = \dfrac{m}{2}(g + A)##

Substituting this back in the equations of forces on the block,

##\ddot x_b = \dfrac{g + A}{2}## and ##\ddot y_b = \dfrac{A - g}{2}##.

This is correct but if I take ##mg -N\cos \theta = m \ddot y_b## I get a wrong answer. For me, since the block is moving downward , ##mg -N\cos \theta## feels more natural and correct than ##-mg +N\cos \theta ##.
Anyway it does not give correct answer it gives ##A = g## which is wrong. I want to know why ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Buffu said:

Homework Statement

A 45 deg wedge is pushed along a table with a constant accelaration A. A block of mass m slides without friction on the wedge. Find its accelaration.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

View attachment 203762

##(x_b - x_w)\tan \theta = h -y_b##

Now equating forces horizontal and vertical forces on the block,

##N\cos \theta - mg = m \ddot y_b##

##N\sin\theta = m \ddot x_b##

Substituting these two in constraint equation,

##N = \dfrac{m}{2}(g + A)##

Substituting this back in the equations of forces on the block,

##\ddot x_b = \dfrac{g + A}{2}## and ##\ddot y_b = \dfrac{A - g}{2}##.

This is correct but if I take ##mg -N\cos \theta = m \ddot y_b## I get a wrong answer. For me, since the block is moving downward , ##mg -N\cos \theta## feels more natural and correct than ##-mg +N\cos \theta ##.
Wouldn't the block be moving upward? If the wedge is accelerating to the right, the weight of the block is acting downward, but the vertical component of its acceleration is in the opposite direction -- upward.

Anyway it does not give correct answer it gives ##A = g## which is wrong. I want to know why ?

Buffu said:
As a vector equation that is true, but not as scalars.
Buffu said:
How do you get that? Where did the ##\sqrt{2}## come from?

haruspex said:

How do you get that? Where did the ##\sqrt{2}## come from?

##m\ddot x_b + m\ddot y_b = mA##

##N\sin \theta + N\cos \theta - mg = mA##

##\theta = 45^\circ##

##2N/\sqrt{2} = mg + mA \iff N\sqrt{2} = mg + mA##

haruspex said:

Yes I know but I don't know the direction of those vectors.

Buffu said:
θ=45∘
Ok, I did not notice you were told that. I only saw the θ in the diagram.
Buffu said:
Yes I know but I don't know the direction of those vectors.
The two accelerations are at right angles. How do you find the magnitude of their vector sum? Hint: Greek gent, name starting with P.

haruspex said:
Ok, I did not notice you were told that. I only saw the θ in the diagram.

The two accelerations are at right angles. How do you find the magnitude of their vector sum? Hint: Greek gent, name starting with P.
Pythagoras theorem. ##\vec a = \sqrt{|\ddot x_b |^2 + |\ddot y_b |^2 }## but how is magnitude tell me about direction ?

Buffu said:
Pythagoras theorem. ##\vec a = \sqrt{|\ddot x_b |^2 + |\ddot y_b |^2 }## but how is magnitude tell me about direction ?
It doesn't, but it is clearly a correct equation instead of the one you had.
But... you seem to be mixing up the two accelerations. "A" is the given acceleration of the wedge, not the block.

Think about the acceleration of the block relative to the wedge ( X and Y components). What is the component of the normal to the wedge?

haruspex said:
It doesn't, but it is clearly a correct equation instead of the one you had.
But... you seem to be mixing up the two accelerations. "A" is the given acceleration of the wedge, not the block.

Think about the acceleration of the block relative to the wedge ( X and Y components). What is the component of the normal to the wedge?

Is ##\ddot x_b + \ddot y_b = A## incorrect ?

Why ? I differentiated ##(x_b - x_w)\tan \theta = h -y_b## twice to get it.

Buffu said:
Is ##\ddot x_b + \ddot y_b = A## incorrect ?

Why ? I differentiated ##(x_b - x_w)\tan \theta = h -y_b## twice to get it.
Then please post that working. I do not understand what happened to the tan θ.

geogebra-export.png

In the small triangle,

##\tan \beta = \dfrac{h - y_b}{x_b - x_w} \iff (x_b - x_w)\tan \beta = h - y_b \iff (\ddot x_b - \ddot x_w)\tan \beta = -\ddot y_b##

Since ##\beta = \theta = 45^\circ##, ##\tan \beta = 1##.

##\ddot x_b - \ddot x_w = -\ddot y_b##.

Buffu said:
View attachment 203868

In the small triangle,

##\tan \beta = \dfrac{h - y_b}{x_b - x_w} \iff (x_b - x_w)\tan \beta = h - y_b \iff (\ddot x_b - \ddot x_w)\tan \beta = -\ddot y_b##

Since ##\beta = \theta = 45^\circ##, ##\tan \beta = 1##.

##\ddot x_b - \ddot x_w = -\ddot y_b##.
Oh, ok.
Very sorry, but because I engage in many threads at once I sometimes forget some crucial fact about a problem. In this case I forgot you had already explained θ is 45°. So now I agree with all your equations and can only apologise for all the noise.

Moving on to your original question:
Buffu said:
since the block is moving downward , ##mg -N\cos \theta ## feels more natural and correct
You have defined y as positive upwards, so ##\ddot y## is positive upwards. In the equation ##\Sigma F_y=m\ddot y##, the forces must also be written as positive upwards, so ##N\cos \theta-mg ##.

haruspex said:
Oh, ok.
Very sorry, but because I engage in many threads at once I sometimes forget some crucial fact about a problem. In this case I forgot you had already explained θ is 45°. So now I agree with all your equations and can only apologise for all the noise.

Moving on to your original question:

You have defined y as positive upwards, so ##\ddot y## is positive upwards. In the equation ##\Sigma F_y=m\ddot y##, the forces must also be written as positive upwards, so ##N\cos \theta-mg ##.

Oh, right, that was basic. I thought I was missing something very basic. lol.

1. What is the Sign Change Problem?

The Sign Change Problem refers to a mathematical concept in which a function changes signs at a particular point. This point is known as a root or a zero of the function.

2. Why is the Sign Change Problem important?

The Sign Change Problem is important because it helps identify the number of roots a function has within a given interval. This is useful in various applications such as optimization, curve fitting, and solving equations.

3. How do you solve the Sign Change Problem?

To solve the Sign Change Problem, you need to evaluate the function at different points within the given interval and determine if the sign of the function changes. This can be done using a graph or by substituting values into the function.

4. What are some strategies for dealing with the Sign Change Problem?

One strategy for dealing with the Sign Change Problem is to use the Intermediate Value Theorem, which states that if a continuous function changes sign within a given interval, then it must have at least one root within that interval. Another strategy is to use numerical methods such as bisection or Newton's method to approximate the root of the function.

5. Are there any real-world applications of the Sign Change Problem?

Yes, the Sign Change Problem has many real-world applications. Some examples include determining the number of solutions to an equation, finding the maximum or minimum values of a function, and predicting the behavior of a chemical reaction. It is also commonly used in data analysis and curve fitting to determine the best fit for a set of data points.