1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Sign confusion when taking gradient (Newton's Method)

1. Mar 21, 2014 #1
    I'm watching a lecture on Newton's method with n-dimensions but I am kind of hung up on why the professor did not use the negative sign while taking the first gradient? Is there a rule that explains this or something that I'm forgetting? The rest makes sense but highlighted in red is the part I am confused on if anyone can clear that up I'd appreciate it, thanks!

Where g(x,y) = 1-(x-1)^4-(y-1)^4

local maximum at (1,1) ; critical point at (1,1)

Gradient of g(x,y):

F(x,y,) = [Dg(x,y,)]transpose = [4(x-1)^3 4(y-1)^3]transpose
    Why not [-4(x-1)^3 -4(y-1)^3]?

Gradient of F(x,y):

DF(x,y) =
    12(x-1)^2 0
    0 12(y-1)^2

Screen shot which is probably easier to read:

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 21, 2014 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You are right, the minus signs are missing. Anyway, D=0 at the critical point, so you have to investigate the original function.

ehild

4. Mar 21, 2014 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You are using Newton's method to find what? The gradient vector points in the direction of fastest increase. If you are "following the gradient" to (numerically) find a minimum point, you want to go in the opposite direction, i.e. [itex]-\nabla f[/itex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted