Sign Convention - Physics - Optics

In summary, the sign conventions for a thin lens state that if Si > 0 and So > 0, then you will have a real, inverted image along the principle axis. Similarly, if Si < 0 and So < 0, then you will have a virtual, upright image along the principle axis. These conventions are based on the thin lens equation and assume a typical real object.
rajiv_putcha
[SOLVED] Sign Convention - Physics - Optics

I was just looking at some sign conventions and I was wondering if this is true:

Along the principle axis, if Si > 0, then does that mean you have a real, inverted image?

Also along the principle axis, if So < 0, then does that mean you have a virtual, upright image?

Thanks in Advance!

Science news on Phys.org
rajiv_putcha said:
I was just looking at some sign conventions and I was wondering if this is true:

Along the principle axis, if Si > 0, then does that mean you have a real, inverted image?
If you're talking about the typical Gaussian sign convention for a thin lens (where the thin lens equation is [itex]1/S_i + 1/S_o = 1/f[/itex]) and a typical real object (So > 0), then yes.

Also along the principle axis, if So < 0, then does that mean you have a virtual, upright image?
Assuming you meant Si < 0 (and with the above caveats), then yes again.

thanks alot!

1. What is the sign convention used in optics?

The sign convention used in optics is known as the Cartesian sign convention. This convention follows the right-hand rule, where the direction of propagation of light is considered the positive direction, and all distances are measured from the lens or mirror along the direction of propagation.

2. How is the direction of light rays represented in the sign convention?

In the sign convention, light rays are represented by arrows pointing in the direction of propagation. This helps in determining the sign of various distances and focal lengths while solving problems in optics.

3. What is the significance of positive and negative values in the sign convention?

Positive values in the sign convention indicate a real image or a real object, while negative values indicate a virtual image or a virtual object. This helps in determining the nature of the image formed by a lens or mirror.

4. Is the sign convention universal or does it vary in different fields of physics?

The sign convention used in optics is specific to the study of light and its behavior through lenses and mirrors. However, similar sign conventions are used in other fields of physics, such as electricity and magnetism, to determine the direction and sign of electric and magnetic fields.

5. How does the sign convention affect the calculations in optics?

The sign convention is crucial in determining the sign and direction of various distances and focal lengths while solving problems in optics. It helps in accurately predicting the position and nature of images formed by lenses and mirrors and is an essential tool in understanding the behavior of light.