Significant Figures when Converting from DMS to Decimal Degrees

In summary, the homework statement is asking how to determine how many sig figs to use after converting a number to decimal degrees. The attempt at a solution is to use the same number of sig figs after conversion.
deedsy

Homework Statement

I converted 14:34:52.43 into decimal degrees which is 218.71845...

My question is, how do I know how many numbers I should write after the decimal to retain the original precision?

Homework Equations

1 hour = 15 degrees

The Attempt at a Solution

15 (14 + 34/60 + 52.43/3600) = 218.71845...

Physics news on Phys.org
I forgot to add, the coordinate I gave in my first post was originally in hours:minutes:seconds

An example in our lecture converted 45:00:30 (in DEGREES, minutes, seconds) to 45.008333. That means they used 8 significant figures for the decimal degree answer, but how did they determine that is how many they should use from 45:00:30?

Are you sure you are expected to watch sig figs?

To be on the safe side I would simply use the same number of digits after conversion. Please remember sig figs are rather lousy way of describing precision, and they are never worth too much effort.

Borek said:
Are you sure you are expected to watch sig figs?

To be on the safe side I would simply use the same number of digits after conversion. Please remember sig figs are rather lousy way of describing precision, and they are never worth too much effort.

yes, after we convert the next question asks us how we determined the correct number of sig figs.

So my first guess was simply use 8, but that method isn't consistent with the example in our lecture. So next I just converted the entire thing to seconds and counting the sig figs and determined the decimal sig figs that way, but again, this method didn't work the example in our lecture

I guess the question becomes, where does the 52.43 seconds fit into the decimal degrees' answer? The seconds are accurate to the hundredth decimal place, but where is that hundredth decimal place in relation to the decimal places contained in the decimal degree answer?

deedsy said:
I guess the question becomes, where does the 52.43 seconds fit into the decimal degrees' answer? The seconds are accurate to the hundredth decimal place, but where is that hundredth decimal place in relation to the decimal places contained in the decimal degree answer?

The last digit in the given value can be assumed to embody the uncertainty in the given value, so if that digit should change a bit the uncertainty will be reflected in the conversion result.

Quick and dirty approach: Change the 52.43 seconds to 52.44 and then 52.42 (i.e. change the least significant digit in the starting value by +/- 1) and see which digits in the result change. Keep the unchanging digits plus one more. I think that should work for you.

Likes 1 person

Related to Significant Figures when Converting from DMS to Decimal Degrees

1. What are significant figures in a measurement?

Significant figures are the digits in a measurement that are reliable and certain. They indicate the precision of the measurement and are used to avoid misleading or inaccurate results.

2. Why are significant figures important when converting from DMS to decimal degrees?

In a DMS (degrees, minutes, seconds) measurement, there are often digits that are estimated or uncertain. When converting to decimal degrees, these digits can affect the accuracy of the result. Significant figures help to determine the appropriate level of precision in the conversion process.

3. How do I count significant figures in a DMS measurement?

In a DMS measurement, all non-zero digits are significant. Zeros at the beginning of a number are not significant, but zeros at the end of a number may or may not be significant depending on whether they are used as placeholders or are actually measured. For example, in the measurement 42.00 seconds, all four digits are significant, but in 0.0080 degrees, only two digits are significant.

4. What is the rule for rounding when converting from DMS to decimal degrees?

The general rule for rounding when converting from DMS to decimal degrees is to round the final result to the same number of significant figures as the original measurement. If the final digit is 5 or higher, round up. If it is 4 or lower, round down.

5. Can significant figures affect the accuracy of my conversion?

Yes, significant figures can affect the accuracy of your conversion. Rounding can introduce errors, and using too many or too few significant figures can result in an inaccurate final result. It is important to count and use the appropriate number of significant figures in order to maintain the precision of the measurement.