Simple 555 timer circuit needed.

In summary, the conversation discusses the need for a sample LM555 circuit that can be triggered by holding down a switch for 1 second. The possibility of using a 556 chip as a dual timer is also mentioned.
ThisIsMe
Hi all, great forum here. Hope to learn a lot.

I am looking for a sample LM555 circuit. In simple terms I am looking what I think to be a reverse of the monostable circuits I have seen.

More or less I have a switch that needs to be held down for 1 sec before the circuit is active (pin 3 high on the LM555). Or is there another circuit? I think the 555 would do what I need, just need a sample circuit to bump me in the right direction.

Reseting the circuit I think I can handle, but just need a simple circuit to get me there.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Engineering news on Phys.org
You could put a push button on the trigger pin to signal a start of a cycle.

triden said:
You could put a push button on the trigger pin to signal a start of a cycle.

That is sort of what I a doing now. The switch needs to be held down for one second and then before pin 3 goes high.

If that makes better sense.

You might want to check into the 556 chip. It's a dual 555 timer. See if you can use one to trigger the other after 3 seconds if the switch is still depressed.

1. What is a 555 timer circuit?

A 555 timer circuit is an integrated circuit that is used to generate accurate and precise time delays or oscillations. It consists of a few resistors, capacitors, and transistors that work together to produce a stable output signal.

2. How does a 555 timer circuit work?

A 555 timer circuit works by charging and discharging a capacitor through a series of transistors. When the capacitor is fully charged, it triggers the output to turn on, and when it is discharged, the output turns off. The timing of the circuit is determined by the values of the resistors and capacitors.

3. What are the main applications of a 555 timer circuit?

A 555 timer circuit has a wide range of applications, including as a timer for electronic devices, as an oscillator for generating square waves, and as a voltage-controlled oscillator for frequency modulation. It is also used in LED flashers, pulse generators, and tone generators.

4. What components are needed to build a simple 555 timer circuit?

To build a simple 555 timer circuit, you will need a 555 timer IC, a few resistors, capacitors, and a power supply. You may also need a breadboard, jumper wires, and a multimeter to test your circuit.

5. Are there any online resources for designing a 555 timer circuit?

Yes, there are many online resources available for designing a 555 timer circuit, including circuit simulators, tutorials, and design calculators. You can also find pre-designed circuit diagrams and step-by-step guides for different applications of the 555 timer circuit.